Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

-___-_-___-_-_ t1_j2lz8nr wrote

Dawn, day 22 of spring 3307 UE

Eagan has me out in the woods again, I fucking hate the place, but it's three days of wadding cobwebs to be shipped off to who ever buys this shite for way more money I will ever see. But I don't pay taxes or anything so I guess it's alright.

Noon? Day 23 spring 3307 UE

I don't know why I bother writing a time and date in these woods. The sun doesn't shine here, the spiders and trees made sure of that. Big things they are. Always chittering, always watching. There is a good reason to fast before going out of "sunbeam" and not packing any food

I hate that name but it's true, it's the only part of this damn valley you can see the sun.

???? Day ?? Of spring 3307 UE

I don't know what's worse, seeing my wagon full of my goddamn hard work suspended 10 metres into the air by those 8 legged arseholes or getting lost in this cave. I thought this was stackhouse cavern, where silk gatherers put useful shit for when you are too far out of town. But it looks over grown with cobwebs

I'll sleep here for the night. And go back to town, I hate this but it happens.

1/11/107 TN

Sorry mister skeleton! My book now! this is my little souvenir from the palaeontology site! After all we are studying the spiders that used to live in this valley (not poor buggers like you). Bugs the size of VW bugs and this cave is full of preserved webs and even a couple of mummified victims! Sans book of course!

BlueOrangeMorality t1_j2m05pe wrote

So this world has the Volkswagen brand, which means it has, or had, Nazis. And it had intelligent spiders the size of cars. Sheesh, what a terrifying place to live!

Edit: also, nicely done.

-___-_-___-_-_ t1_j2m3ee5 wrote

I mean... it's an alternate universe, there wasn't a hasty Industrial Revolution to push the world to a global war, nor was there an armistice signed and unterseeboots getting sunk, nor an economically crippled nation that could get their minds twisted by a silver tongued dictator who sent millions to death.

The spiders are not that smart,

They just have basic ambush tactics

BlueOrangeMorality t1_j2n4f3r wrote

Fair enough. Your world, your rules.

Volkswagen being a specific brand with a specific history, I assumed that history would be more or less the same (having no reason to think otherwise). Perhaps in a much bigger story, world building would show that only the name is the same.

As for the spiders, I thought the chittering amongst themselves evoked language, and the capturing of the cart (not itself edible) to prevent their prey from leaving, implied some measure of higher order intelligence. I suppose there could have been horses the spiders wanted, but there was no mention of them.

All that aside, I still enjoyed it.