Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Wafran OP t1_j3lvl1h wrote

I remember many things that happened in my youth, but one particular one I keep in my heart, is the dings and dongs of my grandfather's clock, which stood in the library as a shining remembrance of my deceased grandfather...

The man was jolly as anyone can be, consistently with bad puns and his enthusiasm for repairing stuff, as he once repaired the great clock that now had a weird tune whenever it marked six PM.

I didn't say he was the perfect man, did I?

No, his heart was filled with the hatred of decades past, for anyone who wasn't as he was, when the family discovered my sister was leaving home to live in a free union, he was the first to call her a bitch...

When I came out as gay... he insisted to my entire family that I should've been taken to the military, and that they would straighten me out...

When he died, I couldn't remember the happy times, of which they were many, my mind fixated on how the hate in his heart disallowed him to see us as his children anymore... luckily the rest of our family was there to protect us from his un-founded wrath...

...Now I can't help but feel uneasy when someone says that they "miss my grandfather"...

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_3NGcYVVAE)