Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

GodKingChrist t1_j6bc91l wrote

The palace office is empty, all the guards and all the maids are enjoying their day off as i ruminate on the laughable situation I have found myself in. I have spent my youth fighting tooth and nail to secure my power over the nation of Tropico but now as I grow old, no longer fit to be a ruler I have found I cannot even give this position away.

I spoke to my Ministry, my advisors, my military and my navy, and not a single one of them will even engage with the idea of becoming Presidente, avoiding giving the impression they covet my power. I tried to hold an election, only to find the only citizen to run against me had dropped out after receiving anonymous threats. My spy academy couldn't find any records of our agents doing it, and I know I never ordered it. I tried to turn the ministry into a parliament, and it was interrupted by a protest of all things, people stormed the building and shouted down any proposals they thought I'd oppose, even assaulting the speaker who was to lay out our new constitution. Yesterday, I held a speech on the palace grounds and to my surprise, people actually started throwing things at my balcony when I told them we were cutting back on surveillance, policing, and mandatory labor programs.

For the first time in my life, I've started to fear my own people not because of their lack of faith, but due to their total devotion. They've listened to me so faithfully all my life, and helped me build this beautiful nation, but even served on a golden platter they refuse to take it back. I sigh, grab a cigar, and continue work on my next draft, knowing it will be met with fury, just like the last. It is so hard to be El Presidente.

AutoModerator t1_j68bt3d wrote

Welcome to the Prompt! All top-level comments must be a story or poem. Reply here for other comments.

Reminders:

>* No AI-generated reponses 🤖 >* Stories 100 words+. Poems 30+ but include "[Poem]" >* Responses don't have to fulfill every detail >* [RF] and [SP] for stricter titles >* Be civil in any feedback and follow the rules

🆕 New Here? ✏ Writing Help? 📢 News 💬 Discord

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.