Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

samanthasgramma t1_j7i6wew wrote

For me, I knew it was never going away when they said it was a coronavirus. I had recently done some reading on the Spanish Flu that took me into that rabbit hole I call "hyperlinks" (can get lost for hours). When they said "coronavirus", I said "And those would be part of our seasonal colds and flus, and they just keep mutating but don't actually die off."

I told that to someone and they said "Oh, big lady with the crystal ball!". Yeah. Dude. It's a coronavirus. I didn't need one.

I never bought into "It's going to be OVER". I was just resigned to it from the get go. I haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Lumpy-Dingo-947 t1_j7ilbxe wrote

We managed to slow it down enough to keep the hospitals from getting completely overrun in the US at least.

lafigatatia t1_j7kj1lu wrote

SARS (the original not the remake) was a coronavirus and it did go away, after appropriate contention measures. But it didn't have asymptomatic carriers, which made those measures much easier. The moment this one spread out of Wuhan it was already too late.

PRSArchon t1_j7lx0aw wrote

While it is true the virus will never be gone, it is over in many countries. I have not noticed a single thing about covid in the past ~10 months where I live. That’s mostly due to very good vaccination rates. Sure there will be seasonal vaccinations for some demographics but that is no different than the flu.