Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jdippey t1_j9lj95b wrote

The total daily dose recommended on the package insert is 200 micrograms. Is this really enough to cause adrenal suppression?

Ech_01 t1_j9ll448 wrote

>Flonase can lead to a condition called rhinitis medicamentosa, or rebound congestion.

It varies from person to person of course, and how well their body is able to handle the drug metabolism.

For childeren, prolonged intake of 100 to 200 ug daily may indeed increase the risk, while for adults the dosis might be up to 500 ug.

Of course people with already existing adrenal gland problems would handle it worse compared to normal people and they would see the side effects much faster.

jdippey t1_j9lm91b wrote

Fluticastone propionate (Flonase) has low systemic bioavailability when administered as a nasal spray.

I don’t doubt you’re right about the nasal side effects of overuse, but I doubt anyone has gotten adrenal insufficiency from Flonase.

Ech_01 t1_j9lpkmz wrote

Yeah it’s definitely very unlikely, but definitely something to consider and to mention.

Plus OP just asked a question and I gave them the most logical answer, whether anyone actually got it is something I don’t know.

jdippey t1_j9lqksr wrote

So then why mention it? Adrenal insufficiency isn’t listed as a side effect of Flonase use, mentioning this may cause readers to avoid using the drug altogether (out of fear) when they could actually benefit from using it.

−1

Ech_01 t1_j9ls70x wrote

I don’t understand what you mean. Corticosteroids can cause adrenal insufficiency in the long term. Overdosage of Flonase can cause it.

People should be wary of what they intake and should seek professional help on whether they should be taking such medication for such prolonged time. OP was curious and I gave him the answer.

However they interpret my answer is up to them.

Edit: also if you search it on google you’ll see that the is indeed happened before from taking too much of Flonase.