Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ground_App1e t1_ja0fyil wrote

Genuine question: Why is all the popular media always talking about the ring of fire being set off then?

CrustalTrudger t1_ja0h4i8 wrote

Because (1) potential disasters brings clicks and thus ad revenue and/or (2) Earth Science is a subject that typically takes a back seat to the "big three" STEM fields of biology, chemistry, and physics, so even at the lay level (i.e., whatever science folks get in primary school or college), people tend to be incredibly misinformed or completely unaware of even basic aspects of how the Earth systems works.

To clarify, for either earthquakes or volcanoes, there is effectively no mechanism for triggering either type of event along significant portions of the various plate boundaries rimming the Pacific (i.e., the "Ring of Fire"). There are very specific and limited mechanisms by which earthquakes and volcanoes can trigger each other, especially over large distances, but these are exceedingly rare, require very specific preconditions, and are very hard to demonstrate even if they operate.