Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CrustalTrudger t1_ja0kf5l wrote

There were simultaneous eruptions of Tavurvur and Vulcan (this is discussed in this Wiki link). Importantly, these (and another volcano) all represent different vents that are part of a single system, so it it definitely analogous to the Mauno Loa and Kilauea example in a sense (though I don't know that much about the detail vent system or structure for the Rabaul Caldera and associated vents). Importantly (and as discussed a bit in the Gonnermann paper I linked in the original answer), there is always the potential that if the influx of melt into a magmatic system is significant enough, you can definitely get simultaneous eruptions in adjacent vents (i.e., the mechanism that potentially drives eruption in one or another vent they present can be overwhelmed if there is just a lot of magma).

dmscvan t1_ja2291k wrote

Thanks so much for this explanation! And the links you provided have more information than last I looked into it. (Though I don’t have access to the paper after leaving academia, I can probably get it.)

I have a couple stories about the 1937 eruption and they have oral history of older eruptions as well. It’s really interesting to me to understand more of the science behind the volcanos. Cheers!