Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Nietzschemouse t1_jbp3fdp wrote

In my opinion, that's enough, but the taxonomists of the world disagree.

There are so many organisms that are obligated to have a host to survive. Granted, they mostly need one condition or another that the host provides, rather than invading its cells, but I much find the distinction between virus and obligate pathogen to be just one that is being held onto rather than one that is meaningful. I'm open to someone giving me a real definition, though I've never encountered one I feel satisfying.

Worth noting, my opinion on the lack of consensus for species is that there genuinely can't be one. Humans try to classify biology, but biology doesn't care. You can look at the clostridium or clostridioides clades or the bacillus cereus groups and see examples of biology laughing at us trying to name a species when there is so much intermingling and genetic transfer or so little genetic difference between "species". Dengue virus subtypes might be even clearer, though that's an example of what should arguably be four species being lumped into a single one. Also, why would a non living entity be granted living entity taxonomy like "species" or "genius"? I think that's a matter of convenience, but it does raise an eyebrow because viruses have evolutionary histories as rich as bacteria or animals.

Then there's the "there's no such thing as a tree" argument, that I personally subscribe to.

Long story short, between understood "convention", attempts at classification (taxonomy) that can only approach but never reach the truth, the complicated phylogenetic nature of the world - the fuzzy line between the same and different, and the general resistance to change, I don't think there's really a clear answer for what constitutes an organism and why. Again, I'm open for debate or education.

CreaturesLieHere t1_jbq7yb9 wrote

I think the answer lies in quantum physics, we may find some mechanism there that exists in typical life but doesn't exist in atypical thing like viruses and self-replicating RNA. Either that, or it lies in chemistry and we just haven't found the right experiment to make the discovery with. Because the line between "a mix of compounds/elements that can do complex things" and "life" has to be drawn somewhere right?

−6

TheNorthComesWithMe t1_jbqhi7s wrote

There doesn't have to be any fundamental measurable difference between something that is or is not life. Reality doesn't really care about our need to define things.

Elladan71 t1_jbrmf6j wrote

This is undeniable. But when we're talking about definitions, aren't we talking about human constructs, attempts to approximate truth? Isn't it the same impulse that birthed the scientific method? Drawing lines between things is *useful!

Plus, anything that provides conversation like this thread is worth talking about, if you ask me.

CreaturesLieHere t1_jbqo3rx wrote

There are several measurable differences between cells and viruses.

Defining what viruses are, and thus whether or not they're considered "life", is quite scientifically important. We need to define things based on what their uses and limitations are. Viruses are already known to have unique characteristics; if we further define those characteristics and are able to distinguish them from organisms, we can potentially discover new things about life, or new things about almost-life as a whole that fits certain parameters. We dont know what we don't know. Everyone freaking out over labels is missing the point, as usual.

−2

Nietzschemouse t1_jbq98ao wrote

I mean, sure. Maybe such a thing exists, but if we don't know of that, we're just making things up.

Not that it matters, but I don't personally draw a line between a bunch of molecules and an animal. Granted, that's not a common opinion