Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jfrog1 t1_jd9nyo6 wrote

the heart is controlled by the autonomic nervous system, which is a subset of the hypothalamus and medulla oblongata, ie (brain). This is not really a debate, your completely wrong, and I am 100 percent right.

−25

PowerStacheOfTheYear t1_jd9q2zj wrote

Okay, I will be sure to reach out to my medical school and let them know that modern medicine completely misunderstands the function of cardiac pacemaker cells and the sinoatrial node. They should also check on all the people walking with dysautonomia. I'm sure they will be surprised that their hearts actually haven't been beating this whole time.

Jfrog1 t1_jd9qfr9 wrote

what do you think controls the AV node, the SA node, and the Bundle of hiss?? the heart controls itself, or its impulses come from the ANS, which is a sub branch of the CNS, which is the brain and the spinal cord.

−6

Astralwinks t1_jdafvjt wrote

Are you suggesting something afib is actually neurological in origin?

Call JAMA, The Lancet, NEJM! They have to know!

Minus-Celsius t1_jdcs256 wrote

Wait you googled SA node and you still think you're not wrong?

Damn, dude.

The brain controls the SA node, but the SA node can function without the brain. There's also a ventricular pacemaker. There's backups to the backups. The heart is an important organ.

tonypconway t1_jd9sumq wrote

You're confidently incorrect. I'm only vaguely familiar with this topic as my dad had heart surgery last year, and I have a tetraplegic friend who has explained some of it to me. But it only took about five minutes of fudging about on Wikipedia to find a detailed explanation of how the heart generates its own impulses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinoatrial_node?wprov=sfla1

The brain and other systems can influence the rate, but they aren't the primary driver. This is why people get arrhythmia - different systems sending contradictory signals.

IthinkIllthink t1_jd9p9r3 wrote

The heart has “pacemaker cells” that make it beat/contract without any nerve input. Look up pacemaker cells.

The ANS speeds up or slows down the heart rate.

Jfrog1 t1_jd9q4za wrote

if you put a bullet through the medulla oblongata/brain stem, the heart stops, this is simple stuff, does it happen immediately, no, as electrical impulses are still working, but your concept that the heart controls itself is so basic and unfounded, I am amazed you made it through high school biology

−11

IthinkIllthink t1_jd9qty1 wrote

Perhaps that’s from the trauma of the gun shot.

Look at a video of the transport or removal of a human heart for a heart transplant. It is beating without any nerve input.