Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ComprehensiveGas8769 t1_irtm6mr wrote

From the data it seems like those in your situation have a higher propensity to develop cataracts and/or minor sunburns on your retinas. Ironically it was found that there’s actually less accidents facing the sun than away from the sun. I assume it must be that people are more careful when they can’t see well versus can see well.

StatOne t1_iru5rzo wrote

Had cataracts forming in my left eye due to East then West travel. Along with sun spots on left side of my face and left forearm. Had to use a 'sleeve' and full patch block on my left cheek/forehead to defeat the Sun affects.

trebor8201 t1_irtw4go wrote

Videos of people driving in thick fog would contradict your assumption.

The_Calico_Jack t1_iru5nln wrote

As they say in California drivers ed...the thicker the fog, the quicker the car.

Lehona_ t1_iru6tmv wrote

Surely driving in thick fog is dangerous, and it's every driver's duty to get out of dangerous situations as quickly as possible.

Gadgetman_1 t1_irvpmj5 wrote

When you have poor visibility people have a tendency to lean forwards towards the windscreen in a subconscious attempt to see anything a little better. And when they do that, they also tend to step on the accellerator a little harder.

This also happens in blizzards and during rain at night.

If they happen to see the rear lights of a car in front, they tend to 'glue themselves to it' and rear-ending those who drive safely.

0llie0llie t1_iruzgwd wrote

It could be that drivers going away from the sun get hit by reflections of sunlight from really unexpected angles, flashing and temporarily blinding the drivers who see it.

I’ve actually heard of some bad accidents caused by the rainclouds suddenly parting and the sun blasting through from a late afternoon angle.

I actually have no idea. Conjecture is fun.