Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Chlorophilia t1_is2y6mm wrote

> The pressures in the deepest parts of the ocean are absolutely high enough to create different states of ice that would be denser than water.

Do you have any evidence for ice ever being observed forming in the deep ocean?

> It’s absolutely possible that the salinity changes at that depth

How? What source of freshwater are you proposing exists in the abyssal ocean?

> or the pressure of the water above changes

How?

GammaFork t1_is4p2rk wrote

Basal melt at the deep back of ice shelves produces freshwater at depths >1000 m locally or more. This then flows up the underside of the ice shelf and becomes locally supercooled, leading to basal refreezing. Admittedly there are entrainment effects too, but a key driver is the pressure influence on the local freezing point. Ref: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2006JC003915

bagonmaster t1_is2yyzf wrote

A storm can change the pressure and temperature of the water above it. The salinity can change from a number of factors from organisms to changes in environment changing the solubility causing some to precipitate out.

We still know very little about the deepest parts of our ocean and until we can more easily explore them I don’t see how you could say with any certainty there’s no ice down there.

Chlorophilia t1_is30czg wrote

> A storm can change the pressure and temperature of the water above it.

The difference between the highest and lowest atmospheric pressure ever recorded on earth is about 25kPa. That is over 1000 times smaller than the pressure at the bottom of the average ocean depth. Even a large wave would have a larger effect on pressure than that (but still negligibly small compared the pressure at a depth of >>1km).

> I don’t see how you could say with any certainty there’s no ice down there.

Because as I've already stated, it is physically impossible to naturally form ice at depth in the ocean. There is no way to cool the water below the freezing point below the surface. Pressures >> 0.1GPa do not exist in the ocean. There is no known source of freshwater in the deep ocean, nor is there any proposed mechanism for how such a source could exist, nor is there any evidence suggesting this exists.

regular_modern_girl t1_is3sxqp wrote

Just to be charitable to the user who’s arguing with you, I suppose it’s maybe possible they’ve seen pictures of methane clathrate deposits on the seafloor, which does look a lot like ice and is sometimes even (erroneously) referred to as “methane ice”. I could see how someone might see photos of a methane cold seep in NatGeo or something, see people on boats topside holding samples of what looks like ice, and possibly getting confused over the text referring to it as an ice-like substance at the bottom of the ocean.

However, methane clathrate is obviously not actually ice (or at least it’s not usually classed as one of the forms of water ice and is really kind of its own thing chemically), and I might be assuming too much good faith here . In any event, this other user needs to admit that they’re probably not going to win an argument about basic physical properties of seawater with an actual expert on the physical properties of oceans.

TheHecubank t1_is3iw71 wrote

> We still know very little about the deepest parts of our ocean and until we can more easily explore them I don’t see how you could say with any certainty there’s no ice down there

We've been to the deepest point of the Ocean. We know what the pressure is there.

We also know what pressures are required to form the kinds of Ice you are discussing because we have made them in a lab.

The pressure difference between the two nearly 10 times greater than the pressure difference between the bottom of the ocean and the vaccum of space. It's not even close.

Edit: to help more with scale, the pressure under question (1 GPa) is roughly the pressure range we expect for the Mohorovičić discontinuity - the boundary between the Earth's crust and mantle. If Ocean water could come up with that kind of pressure, there wouldn't be an ocean floor - because the pressure would push it into the mantle.