Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Nice_Sun_7018 t1_ism1zjf wrote

I’m a wound nurse in a hospital. My explanation won’t be as technical as the excellent one above, but we see nec fasc fairly often (1-2 times a month, give or take), so here’s what I can add.

Nec fasc could occur anywhere, but by far we see it most often in the groin/perineum. It even has its own name in that area - Fournier’s Gangrene.

Now, the trunk is generally well perfused. So is the head, as opposed to the periphery (and especially feet/toes). So why do we see it more there as opposed to in appendages? Because that area has folds that, especially in overweight people, stay moist and warm. Friction between the skin in the folds can create openings for letting in bacteria. Some people are already prone to boils here, which contributes to risk. And some people don’t have the best hygiene. All of this together, and usually with an accompanying complication like diabetes, alcohol dependence, truck drivers (long periods of vibration increasing friction between folds), etc. makes this area of the body ripe for this particular infection.

I have seen nec fasc in arms that had to be amputated. I’ve seen it threaten someone’s life because they dry-shaved right before swimming in a lake (razors cause microabrasions in the skin, lakes are nasty). I’ve seen it in scrotums, around rectums, in labia, abdominal folds, even in breast folds. But I have never seen it in a mouth or throat. Considering how quickly these infections spread, that would be disastrous from the perspective of needing to continue to use those structures for the rest of your life (treatment of nec fasc is generally immediate surgery of a wide area of tissues to contain the infection).

4_max_4 OP t1_ism3m5n wrote

Thank you. Yours is a great response as well. It adds so much perspective for us (without medical knowledge) who aren’t really exposed to cases and outcomes albeit reading online articles without much context. My question was indeed very ingenuous and honest after reading some nasty cases which required amputation. So, if other areas can be exposed to Strep A and develop necrotizing fasciitis, I wondered why wasn’t the mouth where the bacteria lives more prone to infections. I think I know have a clear understanding thanks to both of you.

Nice_Sun_7018 t1_ism5be8 wrote

Even if getting nec fasc in the mouth is very rare, you can definitely get other, very serious infections. Tooth abscesses and poor dental hygiene in general can lead to infections that are life-threatening. So everyone: brush your teeth, go to the dentist, and wash your naughty bits!

For what it’s worth, I think your question was excellent and made logical sense to ask. :)

KamahlYrgybly t1_isowa3z wrote

You are 100% correct. I am a doctor who works mostly in urgent care. One of the sickest people I have ever treated came in with a septic infection that had its origin in his teeth.

He had several surgeries over the next few days and spent 3 weeks in the intensive care unit. Survived, but it was really damned close.

FuhrerInLaw t1_ismyzet wrote

I bring people with nec fasc into the ER after they let it go too long and they are septic or near it. That smell stays inside my poorly ventilated ambulance for weeks.

koalaposse t1_isqe1ro wrote

Oh how absolutely ghastly, gruesome and challenging for you, but good on you, go well.