Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BoOtto t1_ivo5rug wrote

I was in med school when it first aired and one of the first cases I remember was a child with neurological symptoms and obesity. They had run all kinds of tests already and I was wondering which disease could be so similar to Cushing’s… it was Cushing’s syndrome, which would be one of the first things to test for.

DeltaBlack t1_ivo8lis wrote

There was a website named Polite Dissent from an MD who reviewed the episodes. Unfortunately it no longer exists but I remember that especially in the later episodes some issues would have been diagnosed very quickly with standard medical procedures.

I think in one instance it was said that looking at the blood sample before running the lab tests would have revealed the disease instantly. In another it was said that after a positive pregnancy test and a negative ultrasound test the next step was to look for an ectopic pregnancy (which took the team a while to figure out).

gargling_ t1_ivoc690 wrote

I remember that episode; to be fair, they tested for Cushing's a couple of times throughout the episode. The tests were just coming negative (until they finally sent an early morning sample). I think that episode was more so to highlight the fact that tests should not be the Hail Mary while looking for a diagnosis

RevWaldo t1_ivos5nu wrote

I recall that episode. They treat her for Cushing's and she loses the weight in about a week. Which seems.. incorrect.