Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

d4em t1_iwbz2kw wrote

Gluten sensitivity linked to symptoms of schizophrenia, autism, and depression

Gut microbiome plays a role in stress response, anxiety, and depression

In general, studies right now are still stating further research is needed, but the evidence so far does show a definite link between gut health and mental health.

There's also a bigger overall link between general physical health and better mental health.

Physical exercise linked to better outcomes for (non-bipolar) forms of depression

Physical exercise leads to better outcomes for youth with autism

(Succesfully) quitting smoking improves mental health

Really there's quite a lot to find on this.

zthompson2350 t1_iwcxe7i wrote

We've come full circle. Humors of the body are indeed impacting Humors of the mind.

[deleted] t1_iwd0sy0 wrote

[removed]

red75prime t1_iwd8tvl wrote

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes both ways. Stress hormones, intestinal pH changes, eating habits changes due to mental causes can probably influence gut microbiota too.

zthompson2350 t1_iwd9luk wrote

I bet you're right but I'd take it a step further and say not just the gut biome but all parts of the body. Ever get that sinking feeling in your heart when you get anxiety? Family member of mine thought he was having a heart attack because of anxiety recently and I bet it's entirely possible for anxiety to cause a heart attack. I've had the same feeling but being an anxiety veteran I never went to the ER over it 😆

nokinship t1_iwdc2xo wrote

It's not going to cause a heart attack unless they have heart issues or poor health. Your heart beats at similar rates when you go for a run or have an adrenaline rush on a rollercoaster.

red75prime t1_iwdbm2i wrote

In heart? No. But I used to have a very distinct nagging feeling in the belly in situations when I expected myself to be anxious.

robhol t1_iwg8dff wrote

> I bet it's entirely possible for anxiety to cause a heart attack.

Not on its own, no, unless you were aalready in very poor cardiac health. Of course if you're already at risk, a surge of adrenaline etc. can cause an arrhythmia.

lenpup t1_iwdl88b wrote

There’s also generalized intermediate processes that respond to any physical stressor, including gastric issues, with modification of long term gene expression. This would mean that a gastric disorder would be incrementally adding to systemic stress levels and quite possibly changing the rate at which your body expresses genes for hormones and neurotransmitters, among other things that impact mental health. Edit: I’d cite but at this point the best I can do is say I read the article circa February 2020.

e_j_white t1_iwe31v1 wrote

Thanks for links to all that info.

So do we know what foods and/or diets are best for gut health? Should we actually be drinking those fermented kombucha drinks, lol?

VivendusMoriendumEst t1_iwt34qj wrote

This stuff is amazing but it's so complicated to integrate such recent and preliminary studies into complex multicomorbid systems. Still feel pretty safe saying as always "eat a diverse diet with not too much of anything" which covers many bases. Probiotics and certain yogurt seem reasonable to eat, but as in all else, moderation and consideration.

Whatever you do don't be a Very Smart Man and eat nothing but meat and salt like that conspiracy walker who sounds like Kermit the frog high on Ayn Rand and a thesaurus for 50 long words with no hard meanings.