Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PsychologyMiserable3 t1_iwlmjiw wrote

My niece is excellent at math amd I wamt her to nourish this talent so I have a two part question: 1. What activities or hobbies can I get her into to promote this talent 2. What are some high paying careers that will be in high demand in the upcoming years for engineers and computer scientists?

Stevetrov t1_iwmu281 wrote

Cyber security has seen huge growth it the last 20 years. Machine learning is also huge. Data science is another field that has seen a lot of growth. Anyone these would be great or some combination of them.

Depending how old she is then i would focus on what she enjoys. If she is pushed into something that she doesn't enjoy or want to do that could put her off.

xtreampb t1_iwoidny wrote

One hobby I recommend is F.I.R.S.T. It is an international robotics competition for high school aged students. It is heavily stem focused, but not exclusively. The kit of parts itself is ~$6k and encourages/requires students to raise money. This is a good way to incorporate the business focused students to generate marketing campaigns to raise funds. Also these robots require machining to assemble. This helps bring on shop students who like working with their hands welding, cutting, machining and the like. FIRST helps students learn how a business organization works where everyone has different skills and rely on each other. There’s also scholarships and career opportunities afterwards. Companies like Boeing, NASA, Raytheon, General Dynamics are just a few. Again this is an international competition. Try to find a team near you or start one at the high school. If the student isn’t in high school, FIRST has other competitions for elementary and middle schools that do similar things, on a smaller scale.

PsychologyMiserable3 t1_iwpl38m wrote

Wow, that sounds really awesome. I do not know if her current school has those resources but I will do some research. Thank you

NotoriousTD t1_iwma6fn wrote

Try TSD road rallies. Super fun and great mental challenge. Also great for quality time with the niece!

mineymonkey t1_iwlmxp6 wrote

Basically anything in industry. Though machine learning and data analytics can be lucrative. Similarly, chemical/nuclear engineering due to it being a bit more niche compared to electrical/mechanical/civil engineering.

Software engineering is another thing that they can look into.

Mooide t1_iwmy0hi wrote

Hobbies wise you might try motorsport. Obviously actually racing is super expensive but she might like watching races or doing a bit of sim racing.

A sport like Formula 1 has a ton of engineering power behind it and therefore many of the people on these teams are strong at maths.

nattersley t1_iwnuqf8 wrote

I’ll jump on this late and also say she may be interested in financial mathematics. The quant people where I worked were solving the same sorts of advanced differential equations that the best engineers are doing, and they get paid millions of dollars to do it.