Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

roosterjack77 t1_j0lw5ld wrote

Serious add-on question. I like a hot cup of tea. I'll leave the kettle boiling on the stove a little longer. Sounds like it takes a lot more energy to increase the temperature of water and most of the energy is lost to steam, phase change. (no jokes about my stove kettle, Canada)

kilotesla t1_j0m2cbk wrote

I'm not sure exactly what your question is, but once you have reached boiling, leaving it sitting there boiling does not change the temperature of the water, which is already at 100° C. So all the energy that you are using while you are leaving it sitting there boiling is being wasted, except to the extent that it's useful in heating the house and, if you need added humidity, humidifying it.

votedbestcomment t1_j0mkbpd wrote

Boiling water a little longer will increase relative humidity inside the room. Just like sweat has trouble evaporating while the air is saturated, the tea will also let off less steam after it’s made, and stay hot longer than it would if the air was totally dry. Don’t let the others fool you, when you already have discovered this yourself. It is hotter when you take the first sip when you boil it longer. It probably has cooled down a little bit from 100 degrees while on the stove, but not as much as it would if you took it off the stove right away.