Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PigeonMaster2000 t1_j15aztl wrote

Yes, so it's indirectly linked since you need energy and fuel to have succesfull and beneficial workouts.

−9

andanother12345 t1_j15kpyh wrote

Fats, protein, and carbohydrates are all energy. There's no link requiring dietary carbohydrates to be THE energy source for a successful workout or building muscle. In the absence of dietary carbs your body will synthesize glucose as needed and convert fat to ketones. There are essential amino acids and essential fatty acids. There are no essential carbohydrates.

If you're the average person doing reps in a gym you'll build about the same amount of muscle regardless of carb intake assuming total calories, protein, and training routine are equal. There are freely available studies on this if you want greater detail.

PigeonMaster2000 t1_j15oxky wrote

We're talking of the same thing from such different point of views it feels like we're debating here. You speak of human digestion from factual medical standpoint and I speak of optimazing energy levels for working out.

It's true that fats and protein are sources of energy, but the process of protein and fats breaking down is so long you can't get this fast and easy energy needed for heavy lifting with them. Also sufficient amount of calories, healthy diet nutrient-wise and not feel like throwing up from practical point of view without carbs is pretty hard. I'm also considering what type of diet is easy to follow here because bulking and lifting requires so so much calories

−3

andanother12345 t1_j15xnh8 wrote

I'm talking about requirements for the average person building muscle. It sounds like you're talking about workout intensity for a specific goal or sport. High intensity sports and higher rep weight lifting favor the fast glycolytic energy system. Low rep powerlifting and strength training favor the ATP-PC energy system, and endurance sports favor the oxidative system.

If you're playing a high intensity team sport or lifting in the higher rep ranges then supplying carbs for the glycolytic system is good for overall performance.

PigeonMaster2000 t1_j164q84 wrote

Yes, I was talking of more extreme cases, which I should've said from the get go.