Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

F_Boas t1_j5v8zxn wrote

I’m an archaeologist so I’m best suited to give you a succinct definition for feminist archaeology, but it essentially is looking at the any people who were previously overlooked when examining past human behavior. Doesn’t necessarily have to be women, it can be how children appear in the record, or any other group that was typically not cared about by early archaeologists who were very focused on “Man the Hunter” and chalked everything else up to “oh and women gathered things, but have you seen these men?!?”

I think overall, both men and women did a lot of overlap on tasks. Age probably has to do more with role separation than sex. I think that the “Grandmother Hypothesis” for example could be considered feminist anthropology. It’s hard to take young children hunting, they’re loud. It’s hard for elderly people to hunt, it’s very taxing. That leaves the prime aged men and women available for that task. But meemaw and pawpaw can watch junior while mom and dad hunt. They get something protein rich, and while they’re out doing that, everyone else does some local gathering. Boom, balanced diet for the whole family. The Grandmother Hypothesis is great at explaining why humans, unlike other mammals, live far past their main reproductive years, in my opinion.

louddoves t1_j5vgrhu wrote

Thank you for your great answer! That bit about overlap on tasks is basically what I had found in researching it myself (i.e. The roles of hunter and gatherer are not clear cut or mutually exclusive of either gender). I didn't know about the Grandmother Hypothesis but it's fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Are there any scholars working on this kind of research that you'd recommend I look into?

F_Boas t1_j5vj5tl wrote

You’re welcome! Glad I could provide some insight. This isn’t my specific expertise, so unfortunately I can’t really rattle off a bunch of good sources for you, but I gave this one a cursory glance and it seems to cover a lot of it, including those early “man the hunter” parts. Hawkes 2003

louddoves t1_j5vlf9m wrote

Awesome, thanks! And from UofU no less haha (I work at Utah State, the redheaded stepchild of Utah schools (as a redhead, I am allowed to say that lol)).