Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ZogNowak OP t1_ixqwvy6 wrote

He hates the sound of guns, fireworks, hammering, etc, and still runs away from that. I know you were referring to the barking, but the neighbors all around have dogs, so they don't mind. Gumbo only barks at squirrels, possums, coons, etc.....and also he's very protective at the front gate. The UPS drivers know to bring him treats, so he loves them now too.....but he's very protective and vocal with anyone he doesn't recognize.

Accomplished-Ruin742 t1_ixr09eg wrote

I got a puppy whose mother was a hunting dog, a Brittany, but the puppy was gun shy so she would have been culled. She was the best dog ever. I bet Gumbo was sent to the shelter because he was useless for hunting. And now he has the best life ever!!

ZogNowak OP t1_ixr0fz4 wrote

That's exactly why he ended up in the shelter.

britainknee t1_ixr4hoj wrote

Aw! We got a walker hound/ Bassett mix a year and a half ago. He is taller like a walker hound but his ears are so much bigger 😂 he loves playing in the field with "his donkeys" (they're my mother in law's, but Waylon loves them) we try to familiarize him with guns/noises, but so far they do seem to just make him anxious. The mother (walker hound) does go coon hunting with other dogs the people we got ours from, so we think we could train him if we really wanted - but for now he's just trained in the basics for treats ☺️

Sprinkle_Puff t1_ixs3hf3 wrote

I have a redbone coon hound mix and she hates all those sounds too. Any “pop”, “bang”, “slam”, etc. It’s nice to hear this isn’t too abnormal. Congratulations on you’re handsome boy. He is going to have the best life

jectosnows t1_ixuxjbs wrote

If you live in a subdivision and you let your dog mindless bark for hours on end please understand that isn't ok

ZogNowak OP t1_ixuzdgf wrote

Of course it's not ok! We make every effort to keep them quiet MOST of the time, but we all need a little release now and then. :) Thanks for the tip (hint), and we all can agree with it.