Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BilgeWalker OP t1_j8szvdz wrote

I've looked at Mount Vernon but I've had trouble finding detached homes that I could afford.

PuebloEsNoBueno t1_j8t231r wrote

You’ll be hard pressed to find too many detached homes (come to think of it, I don’t know if I’ve ever actually seen a detached home in Mount Vernon) in that neighborhood. It’s a very dense urban neighborhood. It’s “very city”.

someguyontheintrnet t1_j8tcp10 wrote

Baltimore is a city of row homes. There are really only detached homes far from downtown. Those areas tend to have less ‘amenities’ like rail transit, and the ones that do are more expensive. Public transportation in most places will be bus-centric.

Snoo-Snoo2 t1_j8t1z1d wrote

There might be less stock but I think if you are looking at a 360k house in Cleveland you will find things: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/924-Stubblefield-Ln-Baltimore-MD-21202/36470655_zpid/

Another possibility is around Patterson park. I don't know what the grocery store situation is over there but you can walk to lots of great restaurants.

ChampagneandAlpacas t1_j8u8s5k wrote

I'm a half block south of the park. Safeway is walkable for small shops, and there are at least 4 other options for groceries within a 5 min drive from my place (sprouts, harris teeter, target, whole foods). Not many detached homes here, but lots of large rowhome options!

mobtown_misanthrope t1_j8tzfbl wrote

There are no detached homes in Mt. Vernon save a few carriage houses that definitely aren't for sale, or if they are, they're like 800sqf and half a mil.