Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Nintendoholic t1_jaae62b wrote

Just bought in LP last year. Get a good inspector. Like any other home, evaluate the age of roof, windows, and appliances.

Observe the adjacent units. Talk to people on the block - you want to get a feel for whether you'll be able to stand the neighbors. Visit and evaluate the noise levels at morning, midday and night. If it has a skylight, pay close attention to how well it was installed - they're almost always the first thing to leak. Check for water infiltration along the edges of the top floor and the basement/crawlspace. Check the alley if you have one - will it be easy to navigate and/or bring your trash out? Does it seem like a popular cut-through or loitering spot? Check around commute times to see the parking/traffic situation.

Take a look at the brick if that's part of the structure - it should be pretty obvious if it's deteriorating. If the brick is bowing out or looks swollen, run away. run all the sinks, flush the toilets, make sure that the water pressure and drainage is good and doesn't knock or anything. Look for any signs of vermin, especially if there is a restaurant on your block.

pnrgi t1_jaazoi7 wrote

This is a list!

ScreenAlone t1_jacziat wrote

second this x 10000. Have had to deal with bed bugs from a neighbor who refused to treat. The block ended up spending like 2 years treating and sending those bugs one way or another, getting them to go away, only to come back again. Finally moved out. Luckily I was renting the bed bug house but if i was trapped in a 30 year mortgage in that situation idk what I would have done I haven't found noise to be an issue I never hear my neighbors and they never hear us. I think the brick insulates pretty well but critters don't care about walls lol.

PigtownDesign t1_jaegdpm wrote

Depends on how thick the brick is... Sometimes it's only one brick thick because both sides had plaster on the walls. When that was taken off, it went back to being one porous brick thick.