Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dizzy_centrifuge t1_jab2n28 wrote

To answer your question: Druid Hill Park is hilly but it's only 1.5-2 miles of moderately steep rollers, my recommendation for in the city limits is Lake Ave, Bellemore Rd and Poplar Hill road which are 3 the northern most roads that run between Falls rd and Roland Ave. They're all right next to each other and the whole stretch between Falls and Roland is winding hills.

My true recommendation is don't ride in the city. Baltimore has some of the worst drivers in the country IMO (note the number of white bicycles ling the city streets). Right outside of the city you have tons of great riding options.

Feel free to DM for info on cycling groups and routes in the area.

The key to cycling in Baltimore is getting to Hillside rd

1212kina t1_jaba2z2 wrote

My recommendation is don’t listen to this person! So many people bike everyday in the city - for recreation and to actually get around. There’s great riding of all styles - playing in traffic downtown, coasting in and around parks, rolling through the more suburban-y parts within city limits. The more bike riders on the streets the better it is for everyone…

dizzy_centrifuge t1_jabfnm3 wrote

OP isn't talking about commuting. They're training for an actual race, so stopping at lights and signs doesn't fit with that. It becomes either them getting bad training for their race or disobeying traffic signals endangering themself and others. If you're talking about commuting, sure, it's fine, but that's not the case here.

Ocim33nie t1_jad32m4 wrote

"Playing in traffic downtown", is there really a cyclist who wants this?? Urban biking IMO is the worst! The fumes alone, plus the noise, and of course all the hazards hatching your vibe. Dirt track is the best but a country road in farm country or woods is still superb.

BaltCo needs better shoulders though, so many 2 lane roads like Greenspring Ave or Tufts are so pretty to ride otherwise.

−1

SilverProduce0 t1_jacrr6v wrote

I believe Lake Avenue was part of Bikes & Beers last year and as we approached it another rider turned to me and said “get ready for the worst hill in Baltimore”. 🙂