Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Matt3989 t1_j7q1mrb wrote

All students can apply elsewhere, not all schools can take applications. It doesn't change my point.

No one is applying to get into Edmonson.

>if the school is in a bad area then you have children from a bad area stuck going to the school in the bad area.

No you don't, because those students can apply elsewhere, it's the school that cannot take outside students (which none would be applying anyway).

Animanialmanac t1_j7qjhr2 wrote

You lost me with your example, Edmondson-Westside is an application school, students apply to go there.

My point is that students from a bad area have less opportunity during elementary school, test lower, and are less likely to be accepted into better middle and high schools. These students then have to go the middle and high school in their catchment area. So those schools that didn’t meet AYP can’t improve averages by bringing in students from out of the area, and also have the students from the lower performing elementary schools. It’s a downward spiral, that’s my point.

Matt3989 t1_j7qsevc wrote

Many application schools don't have any testing criteria to get into, particular on the Middle school level.

Furthermore, parents of elementary school kids can apply to have their kids go to schools outside of their zone.

Significant_Jump_21 t1_j7rdqt2 wrote

>Furthermore, parents of elementary school kids can apply to have their kids go to schools outside of their zone.

I just made another post about Edmondson-Westside. Tbf I don't think most paents in that area can get their kids to schools outside the zone. I live close to there. It's car centric but not a lot of car owners.