Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

justforviewing8484 t1_jak382d wrote

It’s basically fine along there as long as you’re practicing normal city street smarts. Maybe wouldn’t do it late at night if you’re a small woman by yourself. I’d personally cut down to Pratt to walk that route, but that’s mostly because I like any excuse to walk by the water!

dickpickdan t1_jak6hi4 wrote

From Baltimore and Paca I think you’d find that you feel safer, it’s better lit, and more foot traffic, to go to Pratt and follow the harbor to fells, as opposed to taking Baltimore, Lombard, or Pratt straight across. I’ve lived at Lombard and gay and currently live off Baltimore in upper fells, I personally don’t mind the Lombard or Baltimore walk, but from Caroline to President it feels a little sus because there’s not much activity around and the sidewalks are littered with broken glass. Adding that the Block is very sus at all hours; I’ve a run in for no reason at like 1pm on a Saturday and just avoid it now.

iwantjoebiden t1_jak8prs wrote

After President, Fawn Street is a nice option that cuts through Little Italy and goes by Ovenbird Bakery, which has delicious pastries. I've always felt fine on Stiles as well.

dickpickdan t1_jakade7 wrote

Honestly any amount of “out of the way” is worth it for OvenBird

iwantjoebiden t1_jak7e4d wrote

Yeah, this exact walk used to be my commute, and I much preferred walking on Pratt. I always felt safe on Pratt, even in the dark (not sure how I would have felt in the middle of the night, but between 5 AM & 10 PM, I had no issues). Eutaw to Howard isn't my favorite stretch on Baltimore, nor is the block between Holliday and Gay.

Pratt is also just a lot more scenic. Once I would get to Light on my commute heading east, I'd cut down by the water, follow the path to the aquarium, continue to the area around the Four Seasons, and then walk down Lancaster tills Fells Point. Baltimore Street will talk you to President, which is fine safety-wise but has less to see.

ETA: Sorry, my eyes skimmed over the "Baltimore/Central" part of the post. Baltimore Street would be fine for convenience, as long as it isn't the middle of the night (going down near the Four Seasons would be totally out of the way, so disregard!). The only stretch I'd still hate as a woman is Holliday to Gay, so I might cut down to Water or up to Fayette if people didn't leave me be on that block.

DaleDuzit OP t1_jau031k wrote

can i ask you something, If im trying to get from baltimore/paca up to Mount Vernon (instead of Fells Point),... would you walk down Baltimore to Charles to get to MtVernon or would you take Fayette or some other parallel street, it seems like Pratt would would be out of the way if youre going north to mount vernon?

justforviewing8484 t1_jau27n5 wrote

I’ve walked that path a few times and I’ve always walked down Pratt until I hit Charles and then take that straight north. Never done it late at night, but it’s usually got a bit more foot traffic (and car traffic) than the streets running parallel.

TheBaltimoron t1_jb8gzm7 wrote

Baltimore to Charles is the way to go. Fayette is sketchier for a bit west of Charles.

TheBaltimoron t1_jb8h1zg wrote

The only issue is passing through The Block.

sonnyspoon8 t1_jal4an8 wrote

Depending on the season,your caliber of weapon,and how fast your pace is.Your welcome!!

−4