Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dopkick t1_jc1tesu wrote

Yes, but that can be accomplished at a city-wide level with the existing infrastructure. You don't need valuable land and the city losing tax revenue for your hobby.

Let's assume that 10 townhomes could be built in this space. Let's assume they are $650,000 each. And the people living in them bring in $200,000 per year per unit. All very reasonable assumptions. That's $146,000 per year in real estate taxes and $64,000 per year in income tax. Or $210,000 per year total.

For $210,000 I can hire two people (fully burdened) with the sole task of planting native shrubs. Or I can support your hobby. Not a hard choice.

wake8888 t1_jc26jow wrote

After dozens of dealings with city government, I have a hard time believing the $210k wouldn't be badly squandered instead of hiring two people planting native shrubs. I wouldn't trust the city to follow through unless there was something binding requiring them to do so.

dopkick t1_jc27cre wrote

I don't disagree. However, I still think $210K to subsidize hobbies is ridiculous.

−1

wake8888 t1_jc290io wrote

I agree that there are far more effective ways to spend $210k, should it be properly earmarked somehow. It's only $210k if the City receives the tax though. Since real estate and income taxes go into the City's coffers, we can't trust that it would be used to help LP or even properly at all. I feel like it's a roll of the dice with pretty bad odds that something tangible and net-good would come out of the money should the City receive it. That means it's not really worth $210k to LP unless some responsible party holds it and will use it as such.

dopkick t1_jc2kbe5 wrote

But the point of taxes is that it all rolls up to a single bucket at the strategic level to be spent on the most high impact projects across the city in a timely fashion. LP might see $0 of that $210K be reinvested for 10 years. Then might be the recipients of a $10M project. Saying tax dollars need to be spent exclusively locally basically ensure the rich get much richer and the poor get driven away.