Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_ixic9xd wrote

This thread contains a link to an article from FOX 45 Baltimore (WBFF), a station owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group.

At times, that which has been produced and broadcast by FOX Baltimore has ranged from misleading at best to disinformation at worst - including it (and all other Sinclair-owned stations) being required to run scripted packages by their owners while masquerading said packages as journalism or as station PSAs.

Posters and readers are encouraged to utilize alternative sources from reputable media outlets, or to be cautious when reading or viewing that which has been published from FOX Baltimore and other Sinclair-owned outlets.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

megalomike t1_ixifigz wrote

each event is probably staffed with 2x as many cops as they would ever need.

[deleted] t1_ixiilb8 wrote

So, the ravens game is more important than a parade? I’m not exactly pro Xmas, but how about the NFL pay for private security instead of offloading the costs of their very lucrative business onto the city?

jojammin t1_ixik7v1 wrote

Isn't the parade always on a Sunday with a home game half the time? I vaguely recall jumping into bars to catch red zone plays between drinks on the avenue. Not sure why it's an issue this time

roccoccoSafredi t1_ixil9k9 wrote

"City in Crisis" right there in the URL.

Fuck you Sinclair, and fuck Fox 45.

YoYoMoMa t1_ixilzbr wrote

The parade and game are at the same time every year. Classic BPD shakedown.

Also this parade is fun because it is the least organized thing ever. You can just show up to the staging area in a costume and they will let you be in it.

jojammin t1_iximt1k wrote

Really unsure why our $500 million police budget can't cover security for two events that have been going on annually for decades and are well planned in advance then...

D0NNIENARCO t1_ixinjoj wrote

Probably, it draws 3x higher attendance without even factoring in local TV viewership (and using the city's vague "22,000 people reached" figure for the parade) and is infinitely harder to reschedule.

philovax t1_ixipvv2 wrote

Well since we technically own the stadiums (the state) it does behoove us to protect some of our most valuable tourist destinations. Yes it is stupid i agree.

gaytee t1_ixiyrjj wrote

Why the fuck do humans do parades. It costs over 10m to do macys thanksgiving in new York and provides less than an hour of entertainment, and that assumes you can even call parades entertainment.

Maybe I’m just missing the point and that’s fine, but I think our city can spend money on things better than dressing up and walking down a road that most of the citizens didn’t want closed because even though All the rich yts get thanksgiving off, some of us still have to go to work.

−20

beergeek3 t1_ixj00h3 wrote

One of my favorite events! Remember Underdog Lady and getting into it with Satan-Claus! Great stuff! Check out Atomic TV’s holiday episode! https://youtu.be/BDDv5ndE98U Edit: fixed auto-correct error

DeliMcPickles t1_ixjn4ve wrote

It's a matter of staffing. So this is overtime, and finding officers who want to work overtime isn't easy, so they end up drafting people. And the issue is that as the number of cops has dropped, it's not like the number of posts needed has changed. There needs to be a bigger discussion around BPD not being available to staff all of the traffic posts.

DeliMcPickles t1_ixjy463 wrote

They have the money to hire them and the highest pay in the state. Incentives for residency and college.

No one wants this job anymore. It's an issue everywhere, not just here.

vdubweiser t1_ixktwqy wrote

How about the city leans on the Maryland State Police for assistance instead of just using them to pull people over on 83?