Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_ix8fy3k wrote

Velghast t1_ix8hnqq wrote

Getting kids off the street is a good start. The youth around here glorify the street. When kids dont think they are worth shit they aspire to be "king" of the streets and running their block. Why? No idea.

ScootyHoofdorp t1_ix8pt3a wrote

It's not super complicated. Most people generally want to control their own destiny, which most often means controlling whatever resources are available to them. In rich neighborhoods, that means money...so going to school, getting a job, and/or starting a business are the ways to control that resource. In poor neighborhoods, there is little money, so one of the few resources available to control is territory. So, some people will inevitably assert claim to it and fight over it.

FolkYouHardly t1_ix9qi7h wrote

>moment in my life no matter how bad things were that I thought that someone’s death would help my situation. I had poorly educated parents, bad neighborhoods, public education, and the rest. I have to think that my socialization was different in some key ways from the ones th

The Wire properly shows how an innocent elementary school kids turn into gangbanger.

Cunninghams_right t1_ixbv9sv wrote

certainly most people who grow up in bad situations don't turn into killers. it takes less than 1 in 1,000 to create problems for a city. I'm not sure how you find the bad apples and separate them without doing unjust things. I suppose you can arrest more folks for lower level crimes before they become killers and try to reform when with more time in jail/prison/rehab/mental hospital, but arresting more and jailing more isn't a popular idea right now.

[deleted] t1_ixc8af4 wrote

[deleted]

Cunninghams_right t1_ixdxkui wrote

yeah, I think also reforming the way schools are run would be important, but that's a very hard thing to do well. maybe some gradual shift to charter schools but being careful to avoid the problems that some private schools run into due to inequalities in who gets in