Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MazelTough OP t1_ivkqqhz wrote

Yes, after initial voting. It’s impossible to vote twice with our electronic voter rolls, so we aren’t stressed about micromanaging where your down ballot votes are going.

D0NNIENARCO t1_ivkr4ms wrote

Not too concerned about people voting twice, that should be easy as shit to prevent. I'm a little more concerned about people impersonating their elderly neighbor, for example.

Mainly I just see zero reason to not require an ID... you need one for pretty much everything else already.

−2

MazelTough OP t1_ivkzaf9 wrote

I think there can be arguments that it’s more likely that one happens than the other, so it’s a net benefit to society to make it easy to vote by not having onerous ID requirements. The poorest of individuals are most likely to suffer from not having money for a state ID, which is a not super useful $20 to spend to vote.

D0NNIENARCO t1_ivkzkb4 wrote

I don't think an adult having an ID is onerous requirement whatsoever. You already need one to open a bank account, sign up for food stamps, apply for welfare, apply for unemployment, rent a house/apartment, apply for a job, get married, picking up certain prescriptions from the pharmacy, and a whole laundry list of other things.

[deleted] t1_ivlaif7 wrote

[deleted]

D0NNIENARCO t1_ivlavsx wrote

I don't hate anyone, I just don't see the logic behind not requiring an ID to vote when every other basic function of society already requires one.