Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

EthanSayfo t1_iw882ae wrote

Sure, it's not just a Baltimore problem. And good advice, btw -- thank you for sharing. This kind of situational awareness is critical.

But can we get real for a moment, and acknowledge that Baltimore is one of the most violent cities in the United States? Baltimore's crime is not just like all other cities.

Statistics have consequences. Well over a murder a day on average, as an example.

I really think the people of this city have grown complacent, when it comes to the out-of-control crime issues in the city. No, we're not the only city with these problems, and many smaller communities are dangerous, too.

But seriously – look at Baltimore's crime rates. They are very, very high.

Bitsycat11 t1_iw896ih wrote

−47

macgyversstuntdouble t1_iw8evhr wrote

#51 when sorted by state alphabetical order. Lol. Come on. For real?

#2 murder.
#3 total violent crime.
#17 total property crime.

rpd9803 t1_iw8i8v7 wrote

#40 in sexual assault, so at least we have that going for us.

Appropriate-Lab-5015 t1_iw8n2m6 wrote

A lot goes unreported here.

Also Baltimore City doesn't have a huge college age population or vacation business relative to other cities that rank highly for that.

rpd9803 t1_iw8nuag wrote

When the data doesn’t agree with your reductive summary, claim that one part of the dataset is unreliable I guess.

Bitsycat11 t1_iw8f5qu wrote

#Lmao

−5

jhopsecrets t1_iw8high wrote

Confused by your inability to sort a table but you do you my guy.

Bitsycat11 t1_iw8i8jl wrote

Yes I have learned the err of my ways and realized that Baltimore is even safer than #51 when you sort by each crime, amazing!

−2

macgyversstuntdouble t1_iw8ftzp wrote

> If Baltimore were in the state of "Zmaryland", it would be #100 of the 100 most violent cities, when sorted by state name alphabetically.

"Lmao." - anyone who can read.

Bitsycat11 t1_iw8fwu8 wrote

−24

macgyversstuntdouble t1_iw8goa2 wrote

I'm literally just sorting the Wikipedia list that you sourced. When Baltimore is "#51", it's because it is sorted by state name. Check out the Top Ten if you don't believe me.

That article has nothing to do with Baltimore and its crime rate. Congrats on bringing in unrelated information that I'm going to completely ignore, and instead I'm going up focus on your inability to read basic data tables.

Bitsycat11 t1_iw8hrfy wrote

That's even better! #100 in aggravated assault, #100 in robbery, #61 in rape, #96 burglary... I feel even safer

−15

macgyversstuntdouble t1_iw8iny6 wrote

You know that you can sort two different ways? Low to high... High to low.

I've proven enough that you're not acting in good faith. Go home. Later.

BeSmarter2022 t1_iw8b1nf wrote

Oh come on it it is consistently list as one of the most dangerous cities. Finding something on Wiki does not change it. Yes there is similar crime in every major city, but criminals were given a pass the the last 4 years. Hopefully Bates will stop that! Ready for the city to make a turnaround. There us so much wonderful in it.

https://www.gov1.com/public-safety/articles/the-fbis-10-most-dangerous-cities-by-region-b8bvKm2v4rP8Zynz/ #1 in the South

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2022/02/23/crime-in-america-study-reveals-the-10-most-dangerous-cities-its-not-where-you-think/?sh=3541f5397710 here it is #5

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/pictures/the-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/ #4

https://moneyinc.com/most-violent-cities-in-the-u-s-in-2022/ #3

Bitsycat11 t1_iw8c5bb wrote

Yeah there's an abnormally high amount of murders, but those generally don't target random civilians. Some of those websites are using data from 2017 as well which is why those lists you posted are inconsistent. The person I replied to also said "crime," not "violent crime," which are different statistics.

BeSmarter2022 t1_iw8gnbo wrote

I just pulled a bunch of studies but the fact is how they measure crime has as much to do with it, and that was my point. If you don’t view Baltimore as a violent city, you will be the next victim.

Bitsycat11 t1_iw8grmd wrote

Of course it's a violent city, just like any other city on Earth.

Those aren't studies, those are lists on business websites.

−1