Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fijimermaidsg t1_iwcj23o wrote

Speaking of "boots on the ground" and warzones - have you been to parts of Baltimore like Pennsylvannia Avenue, Upton? Try cycling there... ok no don't... It all depends on where you live and Baltimore changes from block to block. Ride the subway from Lexington Market to Reisterstown... They've tried to gentrify Lexington Market but across the street, it's still an open air drug market.

perceptron-addict OP t1_iwclsvz wrote

Great idea, I'll go check it out. What's considered the "worst" area in Baltimore? I know it's easy to focus on tourist-y areas as nice, and obviously there are some not-so-nice areas. Would be good to show everything. I used to live in Seattle and I'd be surprised if the "boots on the ground" here was substantially worse than in Seattle. Downtown Seattle is lawless, also open-air drug market and with shootings rapes in broad daylight and people defecating in the middle of the sidewalk. But Baltimore has a much worse reputation than Seattle.

Xanny t1_iwd7vx6 wrote

There are regions of hyper blight all over the city and its all basically the same thing. Sandtown, Carrollton Ridge, Broadway, etc. Mostly collapsing vacants or empty lots, streets where nobody actually lives there where all the foot traffic is just crime operating where nobody else goes for the most part.

The easiest way to find them is to look for the areas where there are literally zero commercial stores of any kind open within a one mile radius.

fijimermaidsg t1_iwdk4lq wrote

I think the murder rates in Bmore are higher because the city has a relatively small population. And there's shows like The Wire and We Own This City (ok, that's a true story) that give Bmore the reputation. When people think of Seattle, they think of Starbucks and cafes? Traverse North Avenue -- people from out of town get freaked out by the abandoned rowhouses.

No-Success7693 t1_iwnuv4v wrote

Also, the worst parts of Seattle aren't in Seattle.

They farm out their negative statistics to Tacoma.