Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SpaghettiOsPolicy OP t1_j6nyk3i wrote

I like how the best thing you can say about Sandtown-Winchester is there is some nice architecture

No one seems to really care about those communities, I wonder what the reaction would be if the new tunnel went under Hampden instead

−12

bmore t1_j6p5fl0 wrote

Have you noticed that the protestors (so 4 of the 5 that make up this group) are actually white, generally wealthier Reservoir Hill residents?

Frofro69 t1_j6p87ot wrote

That's why it's on the news lol. Because Res. Hill is a gentrified area. If the protest was in Sandtown it would be a footnote to sensationalist media

bmore t1_j6pactq wrote

Turns out Sandtown wants 20,000 city jobs with $50m in workforce training to get people into those labor apprenticeships.

Frofro69 t1_j6peaue wrote

Labor apprenticeships? I don't think I saw that on the article

Frofro69 t1_j6p4sbh wrote

Honestly, the public doesn't care about these communities because it's where the "criminals" mostly live. Also, since the area is notorious for unemployment and poverty (things I speak volumes on because it's all manufactured poverty to a once thriving neighborhood) the powers that be don't have a huge incentive to listen to or care about the neighborhood. They don't provide a large tax base, so they are unfortunately ignored in favor of more prominent communities. This is wrong on so many levels, but it's the unfortunate reality of West Baltimore.

I'm sure if places like Resovoir Hill weren't undergoing gentrification, we probably wouldn't even hear about these protests for too long.