Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Syphon6645 t1_j37j76z wrote

Not everything is corrected with funds like when minority men are sentenced longer to similar crimes because they don't have money for better lawyers. Or minority families being pushed out of neighborhoods because of gentrification. Politicians let that happen! It's not just corporate America.

You don't change how systems are run with just funding. It also comes down to policy changes and corrective actions towards those who do wrongdoing.

CrabEnthusist t1_j37kwsh wrote

...You think that politicians should just decree that the public defenders "be better" at being lawyers without spending money?

I can't think of what "policy changes and corrective actions toward those who do wrongdoing" means other than 'lock people up for longer' which (1) isn't free and (2) doesn't work.

I agree there are zoning changes that could be made that would reduce displacement, although I disagree tha alone would be sufficient to ameliorate the issue

Syphon6645 t1_j37m18o wrote

I'm typing in those little block. Obviously, "being better" is a generalization. Most public defenders are underpaid and overworked. There aren't enough of them either. That's nationwide. There are policy changes and others things that can be done to help.

Locking people up? No, but firing when not doing their job, yes. There are other ways to discipline folks.