Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pepesilvia50 t1_j598a5l wrote

4 years of engineering experience gets you MAX like $10k more a year than I make bartending? Or does Baltimore City just pay shit?

−32

jitty t1_j59tu2c wrote

Narrator: He doesn’t actually earn 109k bartending.

Real-Ray-Lewis t1_j5annft wrote

I have some buddies down in oc that probably pull 6 figures bartendinf

−5

[deleted] t1_j5ansdm wrote

[deleted]

Real-Ray-Lewis t1_j5ao9n5 wrote

Lol stay playin board games hoe man

−1

[deleted] t1_j5aosf8 wrote

[deleted]

Real-Ray-Lewis t1_j5ap8i3 wrote

Lol who cares how much you’re bringing in bud. Insecure?

[deleted] t1_j5apfzk wrote

[deleted]

Real-Ray-Lewis t1_j5aprpw wrote

Your bs radar is broken. Might want to go outside and socialize with others

metalmola t1_j59o9bl wrote

They probably don't have to work nights and weekends and holidays.

sxswnxnw t1_j59in2q wrote

I think it means people really like drinking and what society says are valued skills, knowledge, and abilities and what someone is actually compensated for those skills, knowledge, and abilities don't always line up perfectly or the way we would initially think.

For example, someone just repaired my leaky roof. I paid a shit ton: they literally made more in the 2 hours making the repairs than I make for two hours of work with two degrees (bachelor and master) by at least a factor of 25 (I did the math). We both have lots of experience. Their trade being more lucrative than my office job is not so uncommon. But I'd be lying if "I am in the wrong job," didn't pass my lips at least a half dozen times since the work was completed.

I also know I couldn't get up on my roof and do what they did... So I feel OK with what I paid them for the job and I won't be running out to learn how to fix roofs any time soon.

Tavataar t1_j59k0p8 wrote

There also may be benefits along with that: healthcare, pension, etc.

super_not_clever t1_j59ym64 wrote

I love it when people don't consider the value of benefits. I left my state university job a few months ago to work at a private University, which also has pretty good benefits. However, even though they are "good," the difference in monetary value (pension vs 401k contribution, more expensive insurance etc) equated to roughly $30k.

BmoreCityDOT OP t1_j5jwxor wrote

You make $109,000 bartending? You must be an amazing bartender. Virgin mojito for the road, please.