Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

_The_Bear t1_j6n3231 wrote

Wish they gave us square footage on the comps. It's my understanding that comps are used to establish a price per square foot. Then you use that price per square foot to determine the appropriate price for the house in question. They mention a significant above ground square footage difference between the house in question and the neighboring house that sold for 460k or whatever it was. Are we comparing a 2400sqft 3/2 to a 2500sqft 3/2? In which case it's likely a fair comp, or are we comparing a 2000sqft 3/2 to a 3000sqft 5/3 in which case, yeah it's probably racist AF.

YouAreADadJoke OP t1_j6n58sz wrote

I would like to see then list specific numbers but they probably couldn't do that without publicly disclosing the address of the subject property. From the article:

"In their initial complaint, Connolly and Mott lambasted Lanham for his “unjustifiably large negative adjustments” to the comparables he selected and, while acknowledging that some adjustment may have been necessary for the subject property’s proximity to Northern Parkway, write that “a negative adjustment of ten percent is excessive and is inconsistent with proper appraisal practices.”

Additionally, Connolly and Mott praise the second appraiser for not choosing any comps located on Northern Parkway, writing that it demonstrates the “illegitimacy of using Northern Parkway as a boundary” and note that the second appraiser only adjusted a negative two percent for being on a busy street—which they argue is “consistent with industry standards.”

1. Sale of House Next Door: On the date Lanham completed his appraisal in June 2021, the house directly next door to the Subject Property was listed for sale for $500,000. It had been on the market for over 30 days at the time and only 10 days after Lanham completed his appraisal, the list price was lowered to $475,000. Another month passed before this property was under contract and finally closed at $465,000 in August 2021.

Lanham’s suit points out that the house’s sale price directly next to the Subject Property was $7,000 below his appraised value. While the Subject Property “had more above grade living area square footage,” Lanham argues that the kitchen of the house directly next door had (A) a kitchen with improvements that made it more desirable than the kitchen of the Subject Property, and (B) an improved sunroom that was not present at the Subject Property.

“Some value adjustments to [the house next door] would be necessary to compare it to [the Subject Property], but the location of [the house next door], on the same busy road as [the Subject Property], makes [the house next door] a good comparable property and the fact that [it] sold for $465,000 shortly after the effective date of Mr. Lanham’s appraisal supports and validates the amount of Mr. Lanham’s appraisal,” reads Lanham’s counterclaim."

Ultimately an actual comp trumps "industry practicies". Ie I could say that typically houses on a busy street sell for 3% less, but if there is a comp at a lower valuation that trumps what happens typically. Northern Parkway is a very busy road so people might discount houses directly on it much more than a typical busy street.

Maybe 10-20% is not that crazy:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/much-busy-road-lower-real-estate-value-84306.html

In 2009, "The Washington Post" quoted real estate appraiser Wayne Wallace on the matter of property value loss for locations on a busy road. On average, Wallace said he "deducts 10 to 20 percent for a property on a main thoroughfare." The exceptions to his general rule include condo properties -- whose value actually increases when located next to a main road -- and "bull market" conditions, which are much more applicable in 2013 than at the time of the article.

_The_Bear t1_j6n8v3c wrote

Yeah if you've got an identical house that certainly trumps industry practices. But you pretty clearly don't have that situation. The neighbor has a sunroom, an updated kitchen, and less above ground square footage. Having less square footage while having an additional sunroom eating up that square footage likely means less bedrooms. We aren't comparing apples to apples where we can attribute the hit in sale value soley to northern parkway. Thats why we have to rely on industry practices.

PigtownDesign t1_j6n9suo wrote

There has also been a house a block or two from this house on Northern Parkway that's been on the market for at least two years.

YouAreADadJoke OP t1_j6no7gf wrote

I don't have an opinion unless I were to take a look at the actual addresses and features of the house. You are making a lot of assumptions there.

−2

JBG1973 t1_j6p2ke5 wrote

If you care it is not that hard to take an actual look. The information is pretty available via google.

HorsieJuice t1_j6np1yf wrote

The article gives enough details about the properties (neighborhood, adjacent street, sell prices and sell dates of it and neighboring properties) that I was able to find them on zillow and redfin in about a minute. I'm not going to give the addresses, but what I could find are:

Subject property: 4 bed, 3.5 bath, 2600 sq ft, 0.26 acre

Neighbor property (that sold for $465k): 3 bed, 3 bath, 2068 sq ft, 0.29 acres

If the Subject Houses were worth the same $/sq ft ($225/sq ft) as the Neighbor, then the Subject House would be worth $585k. While it's a little tough to tell because the pics for the Subject Property aren't very good, the interior finishes and condition appear to be comparable between the two houses, except for the kitchen, which is much nicer in the Neighbor Property. There are no pics of the Subject House's finished basement, but the one in the Neighbor Property looks better than most, so I suspect it has an edge there. The Neighbor House is more attractive from the outside while the landscapings are comparable. It would make sense to me that the Subject House would be appraised at a lower price per sq ft than the Neighbors. How much lower? I'm not sure, but I'd expect no less than $200/sq ft or $520k. IMO, the notion that $550k ($212/sq ft) was "conservative" was wrong - that sounds about right to me. Additionally, the penalty for being directly on Northern Parkway appears to be at least 20%.

$472k puts the subject house at $181/sq ft, which is pretty low, but it's closer than $288/sq ft that the second appraiser put it at, which is nuts. The handful of houses that sell that high are nicer in virtually every way.

JBG1973 t1_j6p238i wrote

To get to 2078 square feet you have 1750 sq feet above grade and 328 sq feet for a finished basement area. Based on the pictures in the listing this finished basement area is knotty pine walls/tile floor that was being used as a weight room. This 328 square feet is not as valuable as the above ground space in the other house. For reasons I do not understand, the sun room does not appear to be in the listing square feet. In the floor plans in the listing they give the sun room as 14 ft x 9' 7". This would be an addition 134 sq feet of space.

The house that the lawsuit is about is 2600 above grade and 940 sf finished basement. There are no photos of the finished basement in the previous listing, but it does say it has a jetted tub and could be a separate living space.

I generally agree with your analysis, but the size comparison should be 1864 sq ft (giving the sun room) to 2600 sq ft OR 2212 sq ft to 3540 sq ft.

DolemiteGK t1_j6p3u16 wrote

>the interior finishes and condition appear to be comparable between the two houses, except for the kitchen, which is much nicer in the Neighbor Property

How much difference in the kitchen? This would be a MAJOR factor in value for me - more than equal SF for sure.