Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PigtownDesign t1_j648qvv wrote

The best line in the review is Gjerde, famous for sourcing ingredients from close by, says he’s relaxed some of his earlier dictates. “It’s hard to say to someone who’s booked a wedding here they can’t get a lime for their gin and tonic.” Their stance on non-local was completely insane. Let me know what sugar is farmed locally...

double_envelope t1_j65llkn wrote

I went to Artifact for breakfast back when they first opened up. Hungover, I was craving orange juice- "no, sorry oranges aren't grown locally so we don't offer that" looking down at my coffee I questioned "where do you get the BEANS from?" "....they are locally roasted" "....so what about locally SQUEEZED orange juice?"

houdinize t1_j660nzc wrote

Thinking with your whole brain on that one

disc0ndown t1_j64md46 wrote

The fact that it took this long for him to realize is concerning. Especially since it’s likely the money is the reason.

Broad-Brush t1_j66e30d wrote

Too funny; my wife and I went right after they opened and I ordered a G&T. The waitress went into a while spiel about how they couldn't offer limes because they were out of season locally. We've laughed about it occasionally for years.

houdinize t1_j660s5l wrote

Only ever ordered oysters once there after I couldn’t get a lemon. And I’m a Woodberry fan for sure.

instantcoffee69 t1_j64hcf7 wrote

> The bill arrives with a 23 percent service charge added, and the explanation that it’s “used to provide equitable, consistent wages and benefits for all employees.” I like not having to do math after a meal, and I appreciate seeing people paid for jobs well done.

I really think it's dishonest to not mention the wage theft. It's documented, just mention it. When some own/manger gives comments about benefiting employees, you got to note that "he is accused of stealing money from employees"

Bmore Sun

Fishbowl

Ktktkt84 t1_j64zfx4 wrote

Does anyone know what happened to this case? Was it settled?

smatastic t1_j65kca8 wrote

Can’t speak to any details but I know someone who worked for Spike and was paid an amount from a settlement—

bvzxh t1_j67sxb5 wrote

Wage theft in Baltimore restaurants is par for the course. Clavel does the same exact thing…

jwuphysics t1_j6b3l3i wrote

Can you say more about Clavel? I had always heard that (one of) the owners were solid people.

bvzxh t1_j6bjiue wrote

They tip pool, auto grat, and use the auto grat to pay themselves and hourly employees BEFORE tipped employees. You should ask an employee who the 20% auto tip goes towards🥲

Kmic14 t1_j6cm1lz wrote

It's wild that BOH is in the tip pool

silentvowel t1_j641zff wrote

The prices on their new menu are ridiculous. So many other, better places to go to have a nice meal for a more reasonable price.

louielouayyyyy t1_j64j3cf wrote

And a mandatory 23% service charge, none of which goes directly to your server.

“*A 23% service fee will be added to your check. The restaurant distributes those funds to all employees in the form of wages and benefits, creating equity and consistency for both our kitchen and dining room staff. You are welcome to add additional gratuity for the service staff.”

silentvowel t1_j64jm9d wrote

It feels like they are trying to guilt you into being OK with it and then having to tip on top of it. I don't mind when places add a mandatory tip to the check because I would have tipped that amount anyway, but this is... interesting.

louielouayyyyy t1_j64scqd wrote

Right. I don’t mind “we autograt parties of 6 or more so your server gets a big tip,” I’ve been that server. This reads to me more like “we don’t want to raise the price of our $45 chicken dish or $48 fish entree by 23% to cover basic labor and benefits, so here’s a non-tip fee”

Gullil t1_j64o1td wrote

Wow...sounds like San Francisco.

umbligado t1_j64fsu9 wrote

I could care less about Spike Gjerde but am otherwise happy Baltimore locations continue to be featured by Tom Sietsema in WaPo.

sxswnxnw OP t1_j64rboh wrote

You summed it up perfectly for me. Not at all a Woodberry Kitchen fan.

CaptainJeff t1_j65rmoh wrote

Tom is, by far, my favorite restaurant critic.

umbligado t1_j66d5a4 wrote

Yeah the last place I recall him reviewing was Little Donna’s, and (I think) it brought them a lot of attention. I just happened to wander by there a little over an hour ago and tried to get a single seat at the bar, but they were booked for the night and had multiple people waiting for bar seating. And I just thought to myself, “good for you guys, seriously”.

brownshoez t1_j650nib wrote

$45 for fried chicken??? No

splishtastic t1_j654nq3 wrote

Go ahead and add 23% on top of that with their service fee - so that's a $55 fried chicken ..

sxswnxnw OP t1_j63qp3j wrote

For those who cannot view the article, in summary, it's a favorable review.

AutoModerator t1_j63qgso wrote

Hello there!

Links from the domain present in your post are known to present a soft paywall to users. As a result, some users may have difficulty reading the linked content.

It may be helpful to provide a comment containing a synopsis or a snippet of the major points of the article in order to help those who may not be able to see it.

In accordance with the subreddit rules, please do not post the entirety of the article's contents as a comment.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.