Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ThebesSacredBand t1_j40znd1 wrote

It prevents crybaby landlords from making homeless people.

pk10534 t1_j413a02 wrote

Landlords are crybabies for expecting tenants to honor their contractually agreed upon promise to pay rent to live in an apartment/house?

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j414a2z wrote

A human right shouldn't be a profit seeking endeavor and the main driver for wealth accumulation is property ownership for some idiotic reason. There really shouldn't be landlords outside high occupancy housing.

pk10534 t1_j414t8m wrote

So you’d be comfortable if they charged the tenant the exact amount of money they had to pay for the mortgage?

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j4158nu wrote

No I didn't say that.

−1

pk10534 t1_j41706o wrote

Okay…so if somebody no longer uses a house or room in an apartment, they should rent it out for free?

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j417tp2 wrote

If you don't live in the house then you shouldn't own the house or be taxed heavily. Family home landlords do not provide a service worth keeping in my opinion. Apartments are clearly different as they are high occupancy housing. Clearly there could be more regulation around them but OP isn't that or he wouldn't be asking reddit.

81632371 t1_j41bgqx wrote

I'm currently renting a home. I used to own my own home before I moved here. I could 100% buy if I wanted to. I don't want to. I'm not committed to living where I am for the next 5+ years. I'm very happy to have the ability to rent a home and not be forced into a small, overpriced apartment. I used to own a rental property myself and my tenants were also not looking to own and were very happy to rent my property (as they told me many times). Not everyone who rents wants to own.

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j41e704 wrote

Not anti renting just anti landlord. Like I said my position is that housing should not be a profit seeking endeavor.

−2

81632371 t1_j4244hq wrote

So who am I renting from if there's no landlord? Is the government supposed to own all of the housing stock?

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j425ezd wrote

Community owned, non profits and PPPs. Here's a good read for housing done probably as about as good as you can get it. 78% of Vienna's housing is rentals but only 7.4% of all housing stock is for profit without any rent controls. https://housing4.us/how-vienna-ensures-affordable-housing-for-all-with-an-extremely-complicated-housing-system/

YesIDoBlowCops t1_j45t4wm wrote

You reach halfway across the world and cherry pick an example while ignoring the disasterous public housing examples in our own city.

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j4609y6 wrote

Lol yeah let's never look at things that work extremely successfully to emulate. What a stupid take.

CallMeHelicase t1_j41nudf wrote

Let me give you a situation here:

Brenda and Lisa buy their first house. It is tiny and they really have to scrimp and save to afford it, but it is theirs and they love it. Within the first few years of owning the house, Brenda loses her job in her niche field due to a recession. After months of unemployment she finally finds a job, but it is several hours away from their home. They end up moving away for Brenda's job.

At this point if they were to sell the house they would lose $20,000 due to the current market and real estate agent fees. They are not in a position to take on a loss like this -- especially with the debt they accumulated when Brenda was unemployed.

You are telling me that Brenda and Lisa should be forced to take on a $20,000 loss or be taxed heavily? That they shouldn't rent out their house to cover their mortgage while they try to recoup their losses? That they are bad people for being landlords?

I have never owned property but would one day like to own my own home. For now, my husband and I rent a wonderful rowhome at an amazing price with a back yard for our dog. For the same price we could rent a 1 to 2 bedroom apartment with no outdoor area. We would not be living in Baltimore if we could not rent a single family home.

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j41rqio wrote

What you're describing is exactly what I'm saying is stupid - wealth accumulation and profit seeking being tied to a life necessity, housing. No one should have to scrimp and save to put a roof over their head and then immediately be incredibly fucked when they experience hardship.

pk10534 t1_j4181fq wrote

So if I have a 2 bedroom apartment and my roommate leaves, what happens to other room?

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j418in1 wrote

Youre not a landlord?

pk10534 t1_j418npq wrote

Jesus Christ ok it’s a condo, and my roommate leaves. Would I be obliged to just give somebody the room for free?

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j41aa06 wrote

It wouldn't be your roommate, it would be your tenant. I think there is work that needs to be done with live in tenants. If you look at NYC it's a bit absurd that a 200ft basement can cost thousands for a hazardous shit box. But ultimately I don't have an issue increasing the occupancy of a single family home when the owner is living there. I'm not anti-renting. I still don't think you should be making a profit off housing someone because as I said I think it's a human right. If you have the chance look up the system Austria has for their public housing.

pk10534 t1_j41ajsz wrote

Ok but I asked if they just paid their share of the mortgage or whatever and you said you weren’t comfortable with that either, so I’m confused what we’re supposed to do.

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j41b4ib wrote

What is their fair share of the mortgage. 50/50 isn't their share cause ultimately you are the capital owner in that situation and are benefiting from their occupancy.

pk10534 t1_j41bpm0 wrote

So I’m asking you what should I do in that situation then? Cover their living expenses for them solely because they aren’t building equity?

Typical-Radish4317 t1_j41crir wrote

I've been pretty clear with my position. I don't think landlords should engage in profit seeking. Obviously people are going to rent out rooms to their family or friends and you cant really stop that. But if you're buying a 2 bedroom apartment to charge some guy out the ass just so you can afford a 2 bedroom that you don't need or to use that person to build your own personal wealth then yeah sure I got a problem.

Expendable_Red_Shirt t1_j419pov wrote

Do you think these are honest arguments you’re making?

pk10534 t1_j41ag1j wrote

Im genuinely trying to understand where this is going, because it doesn’t reflect our current economy or society at all. Sure free housing for all would be great but we do not live in a country that forbids private housing and that will never happen here given property rights are sacrosanct.

Expendable_Red_Shirt t1_j41brzr wrote

As far as I can tell you’re the only one arguing for universal free housing. It seems like you got confused by them saying housing is a human right.

Some people will need free housing. We already do that, so that’s not really a stretch tbh.

What they’re arguing for is getting rid of the rental system for houses and low occupancy buildings. It’s not a hard concept to grasp imo.

pk10534 t1_j41cma7 wrote

We’re discussing what to do with apartments and condos right now, but we’ll see if I’m smart enough to grasp the concept this time

Expendable_Red_Shirt t1_j41d0co wrote

Well they started the conversation by saying

> There really shouldn’t be landlords outside high occupancy housing.

Is the phrase high occupancy housing confusing?

bitesizeboy t1_j42e1fm wrote

I think people would be comfortable if they either paid the mortgage themselves or not take on mortgages they cannot afford. Personal responsibility.

−1