Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ADHD-HDTV t1_j9ui20m wrote

You should actually check out some short Mystery Stories instead of mystery books.

I’m a huge mystery reader — but I would be absolutely angry if I spent time reading a long form mystery only to have the author not reveal who it was.

Personally I love Agatha’s murderers, they’re all characters and stereotypes on their own with vile murderous twists that make them so interesting. I personally love the murderer of ATTWN.

However, in short mystery works, I’ve found it much easier to accept the “Author didn’t reveal it” because in short form I’m much more inclined to see the entire puzzle laid out in under 50 pages. I’m much more likely to enjoy a “no reveal” that way.

rafasimoes OP t1_j9uubyq wrote

I get your point, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that, at least to me, this book didn't feel like a mystery. It felt somewhat like a horror story, something like The Turn of The Screw. I'm not saying i thought there were ghosts involved, just that the tone was very horror-like, and that their situation was, to me, a manifestation of their collective internal guilt.

I think that's why the epilogue was such a betrayal to me.

ADHD-HDTV t1_j9uwo84 wrote

You know what, it might be that Agatha was truly creating more of a Thriller than a mystery in this one! Maybe you’re more into Thrillers than cozy mysteries?

Maddog2212 t1_ja1mapz wrote

Your comment really resonated with me— could you possibly list some of your favorite mystery short stories?

ADHD-HDTV t1_ja1qeee wrote

Can i be completely honest with you? I actually prefer long-form mysteries like Christie and others.

I really like short stories and I notice that a lot of them have a similar style of denouement so that’s why I suggested it!

If you find any good ones! Feel free to let me know!