Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

McGilla_Gorilla t1_j9mjgyc wrote

I really loved it, although I get why some readers and critics are put off. Definitely get those Pynchon / Delillo type conspiracy notes, although it does have some moments that are classic McCarthy prose: > They simply thought that the world had ended. It hardly even occurred to them that it had anything to do with the war. They carried their skin bundled up in their arms before them like wash that it not drag in the rubble and ash and they passed one another mindlessly on their mindless journeyings over the smoking afterground, the sighted no better served than the blind. The news of all this did not even leave the city for two days. Those who survived would often remember these horrors with a certain aesthetic to them. In that mycoidal phantom blooming in the dawn like an evil lotus and in the melting of solids not heretofore known to do so stood a truth that would silence poetry a thousand years. Like an immense bladder, they would say. Like some sea thing. Wobbling slightly on the near horizon. Then the unspeakable noise. They saw birds in the dawn sky ignite and explode soundlessly and fall in long arcs earthward like burning party favors.

Enjoy Stella Maris, it’s good reading too!

Trout-Population t1_j9mmbr6 wrote

I DNFed at 100 pages. It was the densest novel I ever attempted to read.

gravywayne t1_j9mtkkt wrote

Oh no! Good job putting it down if it's not your thing.

books-ModTeam t1_j9mzmlp wrote

Apologies, but your post does not contain enough for people to engage in conversation. Do you have something else to say about the book that you could edit into the text? Let me know if you edit it and I will reinstate your post.

Or, if you would prefer to share quick/brief reactions to a book you are currently reading or recently finished, you can comment in our weekly What We're Reading thread, accessible from our header atop the sub. Your book may even appear in the sub banner! Thank you.

attackADS t1_j9ml5ht wrote

I have not read The Passenger, but I've read ~5 other McCarthy books and enjoyed all of them and I'm always excited about McCarthy that I haven't read! How does it compare to his other works that you've read?

−1

gravywayne t1_j9mtgw9 wrote

It reminded me of Suttree and No Country for Old Men, but it's a original and uniquely McCarthy book overall. I was impressed by the scope and the creative approach to story telling.

attackADS t1_j9muidl wrote

Great! I thought No Country for Old Men was my favorite McCarthy until I read Suttree. Always happy to find more McCarthy to explore.