Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lothiriel1 t1_ja5qdbp wrote

I can’t listen to audiobooks. My mind wanders and, just like you, I have no idea what I was listening to!!

I can listen to podcasts, though.

katiejim t1_ja65r1k wrote

Same. I find some audiobooks are ok if the chapters are short and the topic jumps around a bit chapter to chapter (like a podcast). I listened to Under the Banner of Heaven on a road trip and was actually able to pay attention. It jumped around enough to feel podcast-y.

thebrokedown t1_ja7odvq wrote

I use audiobooks to sleep. Originally, that was not my intent, but it works so well, that’s the only reason I listen now. Podcasts, though, like you say, are just fine and keep me engaged.

EveryoneElseLies t1_ja8pt1x wrote

Can't listen to audiobooks or podcasts. Also, can't deal with "learn by watching this youtube video". I WANT MY TEXT DAGNABBIT AND IF YOU NEED TO SHOW ME SOMETHING MAKE IT A STATIC IMAGE.

[deleted] t1_ja9p349 wrote

I have found YouTube very helpful as I have increases what I knit. I often have to look at different vids to get one that sinks in.

Though there are somethings that I've yet to concur on YouTube or written. They take you just so far and then stop and I am left with but what comes next?

levenspiel_s t1_ja7rsk8 wrote

Yeah, it makes me feel better when I see from time to time here that others have the same issue, and I am not the broken one.

friedcat777 t1_ja93dbf wrote

> chapters are short and the topic jumps around a bit chapter to chapter (like a podcast). I listened to Under the Banner of Heaven on a road trip and was actually able to pay attention. It jumped around enough to feel podcast-y.

I do find the reader of an audio book makes a world of difference as to rather or not I pay attention. There are some great ones of course but I find more that have an irritating voice or I just tune them out.