Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Arrow_from_Artemis t1_j9f2ynv wrote

This is tough. I feel like special editions are something you invest in when you are collecting and want to to keep the books in pristine condition for display. If you're going to read them, I would say buy regular copies so if anything happens to them you're not destroying a coveted first edition on accident.

Before you invest in a huge haul, I'd think about what you actually want out of this library. If it's purely aesthetic, or whether or not you actually want to read all of these titles. If you are planning on reading them all, I'd suggest maybe only buying a few at a time, so you're motivated to read through every title so you can increase your collection. This is also a better way to go about it if your list changes over time. i.e., if you buy a big haul now and you lose interest in some of these books because you get hooked on another genre before you finish reading through your collection, you may find you end up never reading some of the titles at all.

If you purchase and read one or two books at a time, you can really tailor your collection to suit your tastes and interests as it changes over time.

kornychris2016 OP t1_j9f3i5e wrote

The special editions would be books I already own and would be purely display. These being LoTR and or various Ray Bradbury books. I already have a 1st edition of Fahrenheit 451.

Arrow_from_Artemis t1_j9f7xgm wrote

Oh I love Fahrenheit 451 <3. Color me jealous, lol!

This is definitely hard then. I don't personally collect special editions because I am running exceptionally low on real estate for my books. However, I love and admire special editions, especially when you have the space to properly display them. I wonder if you could get a few special editions, and then splurge a little on a smaller number of new books to add to your collection so you get the best of both worlds.