Submitted by TheSavoryMillennial t3_116m9mv in books

I’m thinking about possible Summer road-trips and I’d love the opportunity to check out cool bookstores that are within driving distance. I’d prefer to keep it within the Midwest, as I’ll be driving from Michigan. If you know if any locally owned book shops I should check out, I’d be super appreciative!!!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PatrickAplomb t1_j977c5c wrote

The Book Loft, German Village, Columbus OH

hehaw t1_j98eebh wrote

One of the best places on earth

the-other_guy t1_j9az40f wrote

While you're in Columbus be sure to check out Hoffman books! Primarily older books, and just a neat store. Half Priced Books also seems to rotate through their stock frequently so it's always worth a look. I'm new to the area so I still haven't made it to The Book Loft yet.

Ron_deBeaulieu t1_j978pn2 wrote

Minneapolis-St. Paul is a great spot for independent bookshops. Magers & Quinn in Minneapolis, and Next Chapter in St. Paul, are the biggest in each city, I think, but there are also specialty bookstores, like Once Upon a Crime, which only stocks crime fiction, and Birchbark Books, owned by Louise Erdrich, which sells a tightly-curated selection of books by Native authors and crafts by Native artists.

[deleted] t1_j97bld3 wrote

Unabridged Bookstore in Chicago is wonderful for new books. Myopic Bookstore in Chicago for used books (kind of pricy for used books though) but has good older books.

Iamarockisland t1_j97io77 wrote

I’m a big fan of Unabridged, went to a book signing they sponsored a few years ago pre Covid

Bridalhat t1_j97lj01 wrote

Seconding Unabridged! One of my favorite bookstores in the country (and I travel for work usually get books rather than souvenirs). Also 47th St in Hyde Park near UChicago is pretty much as close to a bookstore neighborhood as you will find. It’s worth it for The Seminary and Powell’s alone.

anastasia_dlcz t1_j97hf6x wrote

John K King Used Book store in Detroit is an experience.

photoguy423 t1_j9alxx2 wrote

While in the area, Dawn Treader in Ann Arbor. Skip Toledo as we have fuck all for used book stores here.

iparkjons33 t1_j97rnzz wrote

Left Bank books in STL.

yeetedhaws t1_j987m22 wrote

It's a nice historic/activist book store with cats!

Subterranean books is also a good one in stl

RnRLoser t1_j9rlqki wrote

Came here to recommend this one, such a nice store

Tea_4_thee t1_j98h8j5 wrote

Minneapolis is bookstore heaven! So many independent bookstores

My favorites: magers and Quinn (used book store), irreverent bookworm (used book store), and moon palace (new books).

Hms-chill t1_j98fgz7 wrote

A Room of One’s Own in Madison is a personal favorite of mine! There’s also a map of Midwest independent bookstores available that shows most/all of them; I picked it up at my local indie bookstore (formerly Bookends on Main, now Dragon Tale Books in a small town near Eau Claire) but it’s probably available online as well. It makes great wall decor too 😊

Bridalhat t1_j97m5p3 wrote

I already have some Chicago recs, but Prairie Lights in Iowa City is worth a visit if you in the state. The Writer’s Program at UofI is a heavy hitter and the bookstore matches. Also booze.

NermalLand t1_j97y4ld wrote

If you come through Tulsa, Oklahoma, bring all the books you no longer want and trade them in at Gardner's! The store is huge and has a massive selection of books. One of my favorite places to be!

the-other_guy t1_j9b0f38 wrote

Seconded on Gardner's. There's plenty of bookstores to love here but after living in Tulsa for almost 30 years I do miss Gardner's now that I moved

kbot95 t1_j98l13h wrote

If you pass through Ann Arbour I really enjoyed The Dawntreader Bookstore

julien_et_mathilde t1_j97yhdh wrote

Erasmus Books in South Bend

GrumpyKatzz t1_j9az65b wrote

Erasmus is fantastic. I spend $$$ there every time I visit my parents. (I buy a lot of books; the prices are fine.) The owner is so interesting.

Caleb_Trask19 t1_j98p92t wrote

There’s a lot of very cool indie bookstore owners on TikTok, one of the most amazing is Bettiespages from Lowell, Michigan. You can find other stores with #indiebookstore #bookseller

The Independent Bookseller did a printed map of stores a few years ago, here’s an electronic version:

https://www.theindependentbookseller.com/bookstore-map.html

RoninPrime0829 t1_j9aygah wrote

Prairie Lights in downtown Iowa City, IA. It's a well-stocked independent bookstore that also has a rather nice café/ coffeeshop on the second floor. Iowa City is a really cool college town with lots to do and plenty of opportunity for people-watching.

omggallout t1_j97x4li wrote

I live in Michigan, and have been wanting to go to a local bookstore called Flying Bear Books in Newaygo.

PaperDagger678 t1_j98058e wrote

On the western edge of Wisconsin, but… Driftless Books and Music in Viroqua, Wisconsin is definitely one of the most interesting used bookstores I’ve ever visited. In an old tobacco warehouse building. Do NOT go on a very warm day - no a/c and not a lot of ventilation, either. But a great used bookstore, inside and out. If I remember correctly, they’re only open late spring through autumn.

Fennchurch42 t1_j98dhrz wrote

Kurt Vonnegut museum & library in Indianapolis

QuietStormLuv t1_j98eiet wrote

Rivendell books in Abilene Kansas

badwolf-usmc t1_j98gwsn wrote

If you like used books then Lowry's Books in Three Rivers, Michigan is nice. Another good used bookstore is Von's Bookstore in West Lafayette, Indiana.

dirtysnow8 t1_j98tgho wrote

seconding von’s! they have EVERYTHING there

caitcakes t1_j9937ll wrote

Des Moines, IA: Storyhouse Bookpub, Reading in Public, and Beaverdale Books

DukeFBRocks t1_j99609x wrote

Morgansterns in Bloomington, Indiana.

LoquaciousLethologic t1_j99ciok wrote

Mackinac Island and Mackinaw City both have little cozy bookstores. Saint Ignace used to have one but it closed a few years ago sadly. If you go up to the Straits you should check them out.

jessupfield t1_j9a4mmv wrote

I came here to say THE BOOKLOFT!!! I have lived in Columbus, STL, and Minneapolis and I miss The Bookloft most of all…while in German Village, stop in any of the bakeries also.

am_glo t1_j9a7yka wrote

Prospero's in Kansas City.

britta-unfiltered313 t1_j9bnsge wrote

Fenton Michigan had a cute one called open book, it’s small but since you’re already in michigan it wouldn’t be much of a trip!