Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Hoodieninj t1_j9yt2bf wrote

What gets me is the random death at the beginning what was that all about? What was the reason? How did he just fall in love with her after seeing death???

I've seen this criticism before, and I don't understand why that needs to have a reason. It was a random death, something that happens. It's an interesting and attention grabbing anecdote used to kick the book off, that's all. Also, where was it indicated that he fell in love with her "after seeing death"? He was a fan of her writing prior to that, and they gradually fell in love with each other throughout the book.

Why was there a random sleep walking scene???? What purpose did it have in the story?

This was actually a pretty big plot point, not random at all. Lowen describes struggling with sleepwalking, it's the reason she wants a lock on her door, its the reason Jeremy installs multiple locks on her door and one on Verity's. The sleepwalking backstory set up multiple scenes in the book, and also alludes to Lowen having mental issues which makes her thoughts an accusations about Verity faking everything more questionable.

Who reads a manuscript that god damn slow JERMEY READ IT IN ONE SITTING? i mean he already knew about it but still MY GOD.

Pacing. I agree it didn't make a ton of sense that she spent three hours reading one of Verity's books and then read one chapter of the juicier manuscript - but maybe she legitimately felt like she was violating her privacy. Either way, she had to read it at that pace for the sake of the book's pacing and tension building.

I think the best plot twist would’ve been Jeremy and Rowen turning out to be the real villains.

That's exactly how the bonus chapter ended, isn't it? Jeremy literally murdered an innocent woman, Lowen knows all about it and doesn't say anything. They are villains.

There are fair criticisms to have with this book, but I feel like it gets unnecessary hate just because of its popularity. It's a fun read and keeps you guessing and engaged with the story.

hasimple OP t1_j9z22ue wrote

i could care less about a books popularity if it’s not good it’s not good and imma state what i think isn’t good which i did

all the points you said where vaild but also does not change my opinion on how much i hated it just how this won’t change ur opinion

thank u for taking the time to state what u believe tho

Hoodieninj t1_j9z4sij wrote

That's totally fair. Also, wasn't trying to accuse you of disliking it because of its popularity, I meant that as more of a general observation from other criticisms I've seen. Sorry if it came across that way!

hasimple OP t1_j9z66ns wrote

oh no worries at all i know text isn’t the best way of showing what was actually meant to say! i totally respect you stating what you feel is good about the book

i didn’t really go in depth of what you said my bad

the random death did grab my attention but it also left me thinking they could’ve meet another way that wasn’t so gruesome

the indication of him falling in love with her was when they where in bed and i think they where doing it for the first time i can’t remember and he said he fell in love with her at the coffee shop or something like that i could misinterpreted wrong but when he said that i was just thinking “you fell in love with her after seeing that???? “

the sleepwalking just seemed very unnecessary to me but i would’ve thought she was crazy anyway

i get the tension building of her reading the book slow but man it was very annoying

it really wasn’t a fun read for me more of a wow i can’t believe i read this. and i still can’t get over the fact someone cried over it but hey everyone has different reactions

hasimple OP t1_j9z4mlj wrote

i said the part of them being villains before i read the exclusive chapter

Little-Aardvark3540 t1_ja087f9 wrote

For me, the whole sleep walking thing felt hyper dramatic. I was waiting for some reason so suspect Lowen as a potentially unreliable narrator, and after that "reveal" I was left thinking, wait... that's it? I respect your overall opinion, but I think it faces criticism because the general consensus is that it's *not* a fun read that keeps you guessing. Most feel it's quite bland and predictable.