Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mad_Madman_is_Mad t1_jabxofi wrote

I read children of time and absolutely loved it, I've been avoiding reading children of ruin because I'm afraid that I'm going to read it and it's going to somehow taint the first book for me. But your kind of synopsis makes a bit of sense and makes me also more willing to try to read it? I don't know. It sounds like it can be okay, I have just been too scared to start it lol.

Negative-Net-9455 t1_jac162f wrote

Don't be, it's great. I understand OP's points but I personally don't tend to slice up which characters carry the most emotion, I just enjoy the story.

SoothingDisarray t1_jad8hlr wrote

As my spoiler-filled comment elsewhere in this thread makes clear, I agree that CoR isn't as good of a book as CoT. However, I still think it's a very good book. And, more importantly to your point, I don't think it detracts from CoT in any way.

I know what you mean where sometimes a sequel can ruin (pun!) one's feelings about the first book in a series. This sometimes happens because a sequel is so awful that it leaves a bad taste about the entire series, and it sometimes happens because new information is revealed that retrospectively messes up plot points one liked in the first book. I don't think either of those things are true about CoR.

So even if you don't like it as much as CoT, I don't think it will impact how much you liked CoT. In fact, I think it's still additive even if it's not quite as great.