Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ShaNini86 t1_jaaez3m wrote

Unpopular opinion here, but I absolutely hated this book. Monique's character wasn't needed at all and if she was left out, it could have been a much better book that made Evelyn more dimensional in terms of her depth as a character. Additionally, the constant foreshadowing was just too much and while there was a little bit of a plot twist, it wasn't unexpected given the foreshadowing hammer prior to that point in the novel. The book had the potential to do way more with the writing than it did. There was way too much telling and not showing, which makes sense given the interview style, but while that's easy to read for some, I found it really tedious and difficult to really dig into the time period, the scenes, the environment the characters found themselves in, etc. Also, the relationship between Evelyn and Celia was super toxic, and, honestly, had this not been the book for my book group, I wouldn't have finished it. I was surprised that so many people liked it and recommended it, honestly.

That being said, I do think this book would make a much more interesting TV show or movie. As a book, for me, it fell very flat.

pieronic t1_jabge0r wrote

Also hated this one.

I thought the near complete lack of regard for the AIDS crisis for a group of actors, athletes, and directors splitting time between Hollywood and New York City in the 70s through 90s was ridiculous.

I thought it was very minimizing how only Harry was mentioned to have friends dying, as if gay men were the only ones socially affected and Evelyn and Cecelia would not have also been losing dear friends in the industry, not to mention the role lesbians played in AIDS relief efforts.

Harry getting into unattached sex with a man who had a wife after having had multiple former partners and having that not come up at all felt very rose-colored glasses.

That’s not a one sentence worry that somehow never affects any of their relationships.

Also fully agree that Monique was annoying and unnecessary. I struggle to trust the characterization of her as a critical thinking, intelligent woman when Evelyn is portraying herself in such an obviously negative light

ShaNini86 t1_jad3171 wrote

I totally agree with you! There's a total lack of regard for the AIDS crisis while, at the same time, there's almost a stereotype of it via Harry and his relationships.

Also, the writing was just blah too. I really can't understand why this book is so highly recommended.

Level-Somewhere-8961 OP t1_jaahbd0 wrote

I totally get that too! I 100% just enjoyed the actual telling of Evelyn’s life. Did not care for the Monique stuff. I kind of enjoyed the foreshadowing though, bc for me personally it kept me guessing what was happening and things were sort of a plot twist for me. Like harry going from producer, to friend, to finding out he’s gay, to best friend to husband to father, etc, really kept me reading the book!