Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tinydinosaurs t1_ja8u0o0 wrote

I loved it. To me it was an allegory for being stuck in a relationship with someone, and you slowly realize you don't really know who they are anymore. It also felt like grieving someone still living, like with a degenerative disease. The writing was very beautiful but sad.

Starlit-Sage OP t1_ja8v89o wrote

yesss I also think it's an allegory for PTSD. Leah comes back with this experience she can't explain that has utterly changed her, and she's no longer able to connect with Miri (or anyone, really).

Holiday_in_Carcosa t1_jab4el2 wrote

Today’s my birthday and I made a promise to myself to read more. Maybe I’ll buy this tomorrow as a late gift to myself.

This birthday fucking sucked lol so thank you for giving me something to look forward to. Sounds like it almost borders on cosmic horror which is definitely my favorite flavor of horror. Also love a good existential crisis. Plus PTSD? sounds like it was made for me. Thanks, OP!

Starlit-Sage OP t1_jaeje38 wrote

I'm so sorry your birthday sucked! If you get it, I really hope you enjoy it!

It does feel very "cosmic horror" in that sublime sense of "unknowability" at the bottom of the sea....

The PTSD isn't overt, but it definitely feels like an allegory because Leah experienced this traumatic event and she can't go back to her normal life, and no one in her normal life can understand what she experienced.

TangerineDream74 t1_ja9b7uw wrote

Agreed, I thought it was about grief over losing a loved one/seeing a relationship disintegrate over time and you know why but it still hurts. The ending was quite haunting. I really thought it was a beautiful book but not one I’d recommend for just anyone.