Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

stinkysoph t1_jaa3qwt wrote

i loved this! im personally very scared of the ocean so i liked the scary ocean aspect as well as the very real and fracturing relationship. it was very haunting and creepy and i have thought about it like every few weeks since reading it in the fall. really stuck with me.

Starlit-Sage OP t1_jaa4skm wrote

exactly! Just the thought of being on the bottom of the ocean is terrifying. I kind of think of space the same way (which is interesting because Miri gets on that forum for people roleplaying about their husbands in space). It's just this sense of... humans aren't really "supposed" to be here, and it's only due to relying heavily on technology that can easily malfunction that they're here.

That kind of relates to the ending as well. I feel like >!the "creature" Leah saw at the bottom of the ocean was one that humans were never "supposed" to encounter. Not evil, but terrifying, kind of like looking at a god. When Leah is transformed, it's like she can no longer live on earth among humans anymore because she experienced this "thing."!<