Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SimilarLawfulness746 t1_ja6ci9r wrote

Run by William Sleator. I was in the Newberry Book Club in grade school and we were allowed to choose whatever we wanted from the library and read for as long as we liked instead of PE and study periods. This book made me fall in love with reading. I’ve spent roughly 45 years trying to remember the title snd about six months ago it snapped into my memory. I ordered it and re-read it. It’s actually not very good.

Edit—I should clarify that even though I just found the book, I have not stopped thinking about it since I was a kid. So, it did stick with me into adulthood!

vivahermione t1_ja87ehv wrote

>we were allowed to choose whatever we wanted from the library and read for as long as we liked instead of PE and study periods.

That sounds awesome! I wish my school had this club. It's like, "Look, y'all, I'm never gonna pass the run a mile test, no matter how much I practice. You might as well let me concentrate on what I'm good at." Lol.

SimilarLawfulness746 t1_ja8xvnh wrote

It really was pretty great. I think they were particularly lenient with me because I somehow found myself in some kind of trouble every day at recess. Better to have me in the library than stirring up some shit on the playground.

Dull-Lengthiness5175 t1_ja8qyis wrote

I saw this after posting on another by Sleator. I never read Run, but I got on a W.S. kick in middle school, and I loved everything I read by him. I don't remember them all now, but I know they had a huge influence on my reading habits. I still love weird sci-fi novels.

SimilarLawfulness746 t1_ja8y9v6 wrote

I don't remember reading any of his other books, but this book really stuck with me. I remembered the title a few years ago, but could not remember the author, and there actually quite a few books called 'Run'. It was the cover that finally sealed it for me, and there at least two different covers. So, I may have run across it before and didn't know it was what I was looking for.

Anyway, it's a pretty basic book, but I'm happy to have finally solved this mystery.