Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RndmBrutalLoveMaster t1_j9c9s45 wrote

SPOILERS ABOUND (for a completely different book, sorry everyone!!!)

I hated that book too. I actually hate-read it to the end and ... imo it never redeems itself. Eleanor Oliphant makes no sense as a character. One of the pleasures of reading a book is getting inside a character's head, but I felt completely outside of her mind, watching her make weird, senseless decisions, for seemingly no reason, with no insight from Eleanor herself or any narrator or anything. The whole point of the story, I guess is that she murders her father... and then is wracked with guilt. Just, what?? And people are saying she's flawed but believable? No one does what she did. Maybe like one person somewhere did something like it once.

The part that really mystified me somehow was when she housesat for her neighbor and spilled some coffee on the rug, so she had the whole rug steam cleaned and she cleaned up the house on top of that. And then her neighbor came back and was super offended and stopped talking to her and Eleanor's like, "Whaaaaa....? I don't uNdErStAnD..." I guess if you like armchair psychology, you could sit there and come up with literally any reason she would do that, but I think that's super lazy on the author's part - come up with reasons your characters do weird shit, and then commit. Don't just have them do weird shit and leave your readers to make up reasons for it, justify it in their mind, and then be condescending and rude to people like you who post online about how they didn't get it, saying "well she has real issues - she's not perfect with one flaw like the protagonists in all the YA books I read, she is super flawed all the way through, this is LITERATURE."

Anyway, I'm with you - on top of all of the unbelievable actions/flaws of Eleanor Oliphant, it was ultimately boring somehow?? I think it's a lack of psychological insight and just a narrative full of drudgery. Compare with Ottessa Moshfegh whose characters are incredibly flawed, and maybe unbelievably weird, but somehow believable anyway, and interesting the whole time.

mrssymes t1_j9cw1gf wrote

I don’t think this is the same book I read. The book never mentions her father and the house sitting thing isn’t in the Eleanor Oliphant version I read.

RndmBrutalLoveMaster t1_j9cx8i8 wrote

OMGGGG I mixed up my books!! Haha! What did I read... Oh shit, It's Edie Richter is Not Alone; I had to check my goodreads. Thanks for setting me right on that! Apologies to everyone.

mrssymes t1_j9cxfa5 wrote

I wasn’t sure if you were mixed up or kind of trolling people or what. I actually went and looked it up and thought to myself “did I read so fast over some small mention that I missed that information?”

RndmBrutalLoveMaster t1_j9cygea wrote

I should have double checked because I did think maybe I missed something in the book too, but had hate-read it so fast (and obviously a while ago) and was so excited about an opportunity to vent that I just ignored the instinct to double check.