Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hookahsmokingladybug t1_jdj0vaf wrote

Everybody feels sorry for him because he lost his mother at a young age and didn't get therapy until he was 30-wtf?? There are millions of us in the same position (i lost both parents) who don't have the means to even afford the needed therapy. Like we are supposed to feel sorry for him as he partied his way through his 20s like only rich people can do? Just comes off as whiny and entitled-he needs to live life for a week like real people with real world problems and then maybe he would be more grateful for what he actually has.

spotted-cat t1_jdk35u3 wrote

There’s a lot more to it than that. Diana also had an eating disorder and attempted suicide multiple times because of her husband’s affair with Camilla, and she also hated being royal. Harry’s father even went on to say that he only married Diana because he felt pressure to marry quickly, and then there’s the theory that Diana was murdered by the royals following her divorce from Charles.

Harry was exposed to all of that and let’s be honest, if this was a fiction novel people probably wouldn’t think its boring at all. It would a contemporary familial drama with a love story and a romance. Like, yeah, Harry is out of touch with reality but that’s not 100% his fault — being royal is the only life he knows.

To not be sorry for him is classist and indicates a lack of empathy.

PumpkinPieIsGreat t1_jdlqm20 wrote

Isn't this always the way? If a celebrity dies to drugs people call it tragic, your average Joe would be called a junkie. There's many double standards like this.

eschuylerhamilton t1_jdjd4ry wrote

I don’t feel sorry for him. I feel nothing for him. Not all of us care about royalty/famous people.

OneGoodRib t1_jdk3sub wrote

You don't have to care about royalty/famous people, but it's concerning to not feel bad for someone whose mother died in a public tragedy and he wasn't allowed to talk about it and didn't get therapy to deal with it for 20 years. They're still people with feelings like most of us, apparently not YOU, even if you aren't interested in the royalty aspect of it.

−1

eschuylerhamilton t1_jdk5a5t wrote

Well, no, not really. I can feel sympathy for him in a “yeah that’s terrible” kind of way but beyond that? Nah. Also, it’s adorable that because I’m not overly emotionally invested in Harry, that must mean I’m a cold, emotionless robot.