Submitted by quack-itswhack t3_127x3cv in books

Wow, I really liked this one. I know that Gottlieb had to mix some of her clients' stories together in order to protect their privacy and that took away from the authenticity of the messages for some readers, but I still found myself touched by the stories and their developments. It's been a while since a book has made me tear up, but "Julie's" story in particular hit like a truck full of bricks. I give it a 5/5 in my reading log! How did you guys feel about it?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

okiegirl22 t1_jeggz5q wrote

I enjoyed this one as well! I thought the “behind the scenes” look at how therapy works from the perspective of the therapist was really interesting.

quack-itswhack OP t1_jegiss2 wrote

I agree! My significant other is in school to become a therapist and I’m currently in therapy, so I was like, “Wow, this feels familiar!” Lol

Bright_Broccoli1844 t1_jegangt wrote

I liked the book when I read it a few years back. I laughed at the pajama top.

quack-itswhack OP t1_jegflz3 wrote

What I loved about the pajama top is that not only do I have one that says that, but I just got done reading another book that briefly pokes fun at people who wear shirts that say, “Namastay in bed.” Lol

VivianSherwood t1_jegsgb3 wrote

Ohhh I love it so much. I follow Lori on Instagram and every time I see her posts I remember her book and how amazing it is. It was such a candid, emotional book that looks at people and their problems with a level of empathy I can only aspire to. And yes, Julie was my favorite too, just thinking about her makes me want to cry. Btw I didn't know the author mixed her patient's stories, I assumed she reproduced them with their consent ahah thank you for teaching me that